5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction tailgate

LaiePoi

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie midnight diamond crystal black. The only option I wish it had was the multifunction tailgate. I have the sport hood with the vents which I don’t really care for. If anyone in Arizona has a multifunction tailgate that they don’t really care for or would rather have a sport hood I’m willing to trade hoods for tailgates. Also would need to find out if the tailgates are as easy as just swapping or if there is more involved being that mine did not originally come with one. I know the hoods would swap I know people that have done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caballonegro

Reaction score
There is more involved, there is some bracing towards the cab that makes the sides stronger. Also the hinges have to be totally different but that I don't know.

LaiePoi

Reaction score
There is more involved, there is some bracing towards the cab that makes the sides stronger. Also the hinges have to be totally different but that I don't know.

Oh I see. So would switching tailgates like that not be a possibility or could it maybe be done by a ram tech at a dealer?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if anyone would want to swap a MFT for a sport hood, but I suppose it's possible.

There are older threads with information about what's needed for this. But basically, if you have a rambox, the extra bracing is not needed. The MFT hinges are the same as non-MFT. You need different strikers. And I haven't been able to find out about the wiring differences. It's definitely not just a matter of swapping tailgates though, like it is for the hoods.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Plus you will need to find the same color that narrows your search big time. I just don't think its feasible unless dealers offered a s kit.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I'd love the switch hoods with you and I will gladly help you cut your tailgate ;)

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie midnight diamond crystal black. The only option I wish it had was the multifunction tailgate. I have the sport hood with the vents which I don’t really care for. If anyone in Arizona has a multifunction tailgate that they don’t really care for or would rather have a sport hood I’m willing to trade hoods for tailgates. Also would need to find out if the tailgates are as easy as just swapping or if there is more involved being that mine did not originally come with one. I know the hoods would swap I know people that have done it.

I have a 19 Laramie Diamond Crystal black and live in AZ (Tempe). I can’t help you with the tailgate but would be happy to do a good swap with you if you don’t like the sport hood.

Users who are viewing this thread