5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction Tailgate issue

MF2020

Reaction score
I picked up my 2020 Limited with RAMBox and MFT and the holes are there with the nut inserts on the bed. The parts to use the divider as a bed extender screw right in easily. The holes are covered with round plugs that come off using a trim or plastic rivet removal tool.
Ok, thank you! That is good news since the parts are on the way. I noticed the clearance from the tail gate divider hardware to the inside of the tail gate, when closed, is very close. I hope the divider hardware does not interfere with closing the tail gate.

MF2020

Reaction score
Bed Extender hardware installed ( 10 minutes ) and no clearance problems with multifunction tail gate. Used this bed extender a lot on my 2011 Ram so for $95.00 it was an excellent purchase for me.

Attachments

• 1DE826AB-0BC8-43B4-8A5F-0FF39B60C8E0.jpeg
    1DE826AB-0BC8-43B4-8A5F-0FF39B60C8E0.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 79

1JK

Reaction score
Bed Extender hardware installed ( 10 minutes ) and no clearance problems with multifunction tail gate. Used this bed extender a lot on my 2011 Ram so for $95.00 it was an excellent purchase for me.
Do you have the part numbers and did you purchase on-line? thanks

1JK

Reaction score
Do you have the part numbers and did you purchase on-line? thanks
Found these PNs (2) x 68054997AB and (2) x 68054996AA. just purchased a set of all (4) parts delivered for $82 on eBay.

MF2020

Reaction score
Found these PNs (2) x 68054997AB and (2) x 68054996AA. just purchased a set of all (4) parts delivered for $82 on eBay.
Those are the correct numbers. Good deal on the price!!

mbearden

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!!! My truck came with the divider. I have the BUG, MFT and Ram Boxes. Popped out one of the plugs and looks like these parts will work perfectly. I just placed the order on eBay!!!

MF2020

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!!! My truck came with the divider. I have the BUG, MFT and Ram Boxes. Popped out one of the plugs and looks like these parts will work perfectly. I just placed the order on eBay!!!
Great, easy install and good value all things considered.

mbearden

Reaction score
Super easy install and works great! I also like the way the bed divider/etxtender is stored when not in use.
BedExtender.jpg

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone else have to really slam there MFT to get it to close properly? If I don’t slam it shut, in either mode, the other mode will not work and I get the tailgate open warning on the dash. It does close, but if not slammed shut, I get the noted issues.

Notice when I purchase and I couldn’t use the split opening function, the lever didn’t work. Tech came out and opened it the normal way and slammed it, then the split option worked.

Been slamming it ever since, and sometimes not hard enough. I know its a truck, but still seems excessive.
I have a regular tailgate and do not have to slam it to avoid a tailgate ajar message. I close mine normally and it works fine with no messages.

MF2020

Reaction score
Does anyone else have to really slam there MFT to get it to close properly? If I don’t slam it shut, in either mode, the other mode will not work and I get the tailgate open warning on the dash. It does close, but if not slammed shut, I get the noted issues.

Notice when I purchase and I couldn’t use the split opening function, the lever didn’t work. Tech came out and opened it the normal way and slammed it, then the split option worked.

Been slamming it ever since, and sometimes not hard enough. I know its a truck, but still seems excessive.
I'm not slamming this tail gate any more than I have slammed any other in order to shut it. So i would say that I'm probably not having your problem. But I don't think slamming the tail gate shut is going to hurt it. It is definitely heavier than many tail gates so it needs a bit more push to close it. I sort of slam them all shut anyway, so what do I know. LOL

Matrixband

Reaction score
I have had my truck just a few days, and the only issue I see is that the MFT wobbles upon opening the left 60 barn door. I mean the frame wiggles a bit causing a movement of the closed right 40 door and frame. It does it at the partial opening indent and also upon full opening. Sort of a klunk klunk I think when there is light pressure on the door. I am having the dealer look at it, but seems it's not aligned or not fastened properly? It does not do it when the right barn door is open.

Users who are viewing this thread