5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi-steps for a tailgate with multi-functions

ProjectsInMotion

Reaction score
My 2020 Ram has the multi-function tailgate. The step that Mopar sells for the multi-function tailgate only works when the tailgate is opened in the barn door configuration. That's only one function, what about the other function? The standard Mopar bed step works when the tailgate is opened the regular way. Besides cost, what prevents someone from installing both steps? The fact that both steps mount in the same location. The frame of the multi-function step is cast aluminum and secures to the truck frame directly, in a double sheer mounting, so it can't really be modified easily. The frame for the standard step is also cast aluminum but it mounts to the truck frame with an intermediary steel bracket. Due to the thickness of the frame for the multi-function step, if you simply try to mount the standard step bracket adjacent to the frame for the multi-function step, the standard step is spaced too far out and fouls the body of the truck, among other issues. Addressing the issues can be done with 3 fixes.
-Modify the mounting bracket for the standard step to move the step frame about a half inch closer to the truck frame
-Add a spacer, ideally bolted through, to the lower rear corner of the mounting bracket for the standard step. This corner would rest against the truck frame if the multi-function step wasn't installed, and would rest against nothing if the multi-function step was installed and no spacer was installed. Adding this spacer will substantially reduce flex and vibration.
-Add a spacer to the rear side of the top mounting hole of the mounting bracket for the standard step, because the frame of the multi-function step doesn't extend that high since it doesn't use that mounting hole.
-Optionally, slightly bending in the top forward corner of the mounting bracket for the standard step so the mounting ball can go through and hang from the keyhole

This is the bolted-through spacer on the lower rear corner of the bracket, that also bolts though the frame. I used a stainless steel socket cap bolt, a stainless steel nylock nut, and a stack of stainless steel washers.
PXL_20220505_160756110.jpg

With all of the modifications complete, this is how it looks:

Both steps retracted
PXL_20220505_154616059.jpg

Both steps extended
PXL_20220505_154634078.jpg

Standard bed step with tailgate opened regularly
PXL_20220505_154654982.jpg

Multi-function tailgate bed step with tailgate opened in barn door configuration
PXL_20220505_154714485.jpg

It only takes a few hours if you're reasonably handy

Cheers

Last edited:

Solracer

Reaction score
I plan on doing this when mine comes in. I wish they had given me this option when I ordered it.

Killer428

Reaction score
Nice job and writeup explaining all the issues involved. I also planned on doing this setup , which now I see it can be done . Thanks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have a buddy with a 2021 Rebel, and his came with both steps from factory.

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
Great write up and pictures. I have often wondered why they wouldn’t put both steps with the MFT. I have the regular drivers side step (no MFT) and love it!

-Jody

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I need to do this, I only have the MFT step and it's super hard to get into the truck when I have the full tailgate down.
I see the pictures and the write-up and maybe i'm just dumb but the instructions are really hard to follow.
You add spacers maybe bend a plate and profit?

ProjectsInMotion

Reaction score
I need to do this, I only have the MFT step and it's super hard to get into the truck when I have the full tailgate down.
I see the pictures and the write-up and maybe i'm just dumb but the instructions are really hard to follow.
You add spacers maybe bend a plate and profit?

The biggest effort is shortening the bracket that holds the standard bed step, bringing the step about a half inch closer to the truck frame. That's a little bit of cutting, welding, and painting. I don't have any pictures of that part of the process but it's very straightforward if you have the right tools.

Cheers

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The biggest effort is shortening the bracket that holds the standard bed step, bringing the step about a half inch closer to the truck frame. That's a little bit of cutting, welding, and painting. I don't have any pictures of that part of the process but it's very straightforward if you have the right tools.

Cheers
Cutting I can do possibly painting but I don't have a welder so I guess thats out for me.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I want to know about THAT. With part numbers, ideally.
Haven't been able to verify as he was transfered out of state(military) and he's not really the type of car guy that knows how to find that stuff

Code2medic

Reaction score
My 2020 Ram has the multi-function tailgate. The step that Mopar sells for the multi-function tailgate only works when the tailgate is opened in the barn door configuration. That's only one function, what about the other function? The standard Mopar bed step works when the tailgate is opened the regular way. Besides cost, what prevents someone from installing both steps? The fact that both steps mount in the same location. The frame of the multi-function step is cast aluminum and secures to the truck frame directly, in a double sheer mounting, so it can't really be modified easily. The frame for the standard step is also cast aluminum but it mounts to the truck frame with an intermediary steel bracket. Due to the thickness of the frame for the multi-function step, if you simply try to mount the standard step bracket adjacent to the frame for the multi-function step, the standard step is spaced too far out and fouls the body of the truck, among other issues. Addressing the issues can be done with 3 fixes.
-Modify the mounting bracket for the standard step to move the step frame about a half inch closer to the truck frame
-Add a spacer, ideally bolted through, to the lower rear corner of the mounting bracket for the standard step. This corner would rest against the truck frame if the multi-function step wasn't installed, and would rest against nothing if the multi-function step was installed and no spacer was installed. Adding this spacer will substantially reduce flex and vibration.
-Add a spacer to the rear side of the top mounting hole of the mounting bracket for the standard step, because the frame of the multi-function step doesn't extend that high since it doesn't use that mounting hole.
-Optionally, slightly bending in the top forward corner of the mounting bracket for the standard step so the mounting ball can go through and hang from the keyhole

This is the bolted-through spacer on the lower rear corner of the bracket, that also bolts though the frame. I used a stainless steel socket cap bolt, a stainless steel nylock nut, and a stack of stainless steel washers.
View attachment 128645

With all of the modifications complete, this is how it looks:

Both steps retracted
View attachment 128646

Both steps extended
View attachment 128647

Standard bed step with tailgate opened regularly
View attachment 128648

Multi-function tailgate bed step with tailgate opened in barn door configuration
View attachment 128649

It only takes a few hours if you're reasonably handy

Cheers
Hate to say but chevy wins whens it comes to steps. Making part if bumper was genius

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hate to say but chevy wins whens it comes to steps. Making part if bumper was genius
That's one opinion. Lift that truck up some and the step up to the bumper is huge. The RAM step drops down and is easy to step up and into the bed

Users who are viewing this thread