5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi-Functional Tailgate rattle?

Scottygolf

Reaction score
Anyone notice the right small door on your MFT has play and rattles? Today, I took it in to the dealership to ask about the the MFT. Showed them when the doors are open the smaller door on the right has some play and you can see the frame of the tailgate move a little. The tech sent me a video and said this is normal, the showed me another one and it had even more play then mine. He said is it normal. Has anyone encountered this and was able to tighten to stop the rattling?

Thanks!

Jmac509

Reaction score
I don't believe mine has any rattle. I will double check in a few hours and update if I find out otherwise. Did yours always rattle or is this something that has developed over time?

Scottygolf

Reaction score
It always has but I thought it was a divider I had but when I removed, realized it was the door after wiggling it around. It is noticeable when you go over any bump, normal driving, you don't hear it.

thanks!

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My '22 MFT doesn't have any play. I think yours is misaligned. Might want to ask a different dealer or go out and check the dealer's lot to see if he knows what he's talking about.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is no rattle.
Take it apart yourself, its VERY easy.
The dealership I went to explained they never even worked on a MFT before and needed to take it apart to learn how it worked LOL.

Here's a link to the instructions I made for taking some of it apart.

Make sure the bar is tight and in the correct notch or else there would be play as the tailgate is pretty heavy even for it's own frame.
Can also take the entire MFT off and or check the strikers and make sure they are latching on it properly.

Jmac509

Reaction score
I just wanted to follow up, mine has ZERO rattle, there is no slop or play in either side.

Scottygolf

Reaction score
I should clarify, the frame which holds the MFT doors shows play on the right sight when you take the small door and lift up. So when going over any bumps you hear the door rattle. I will take it to another dealer.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I should clarify, the frame which holds the MFT doors shows play on the right sight when you take the small door and lift up. So when going over any bumps you hear the door rattle. I will take it to another dealer.
Does it have play only when you open the MFT, or also if you open the full tailgate and try to lift up?
Are you referring to the post?

Scottygolf

Reaction score
Thanks Darksteel, so I laid the tailgate flat and moved and it had play. What was discovered is on the left side there appears to be a washer, and the right side there is not one. See pictures. Curious is this a miss by RAM or does your have the same? The right side is where it has the play.

Attachments

• left side.jpeg
    left side.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Right side.jpeg
    Right side.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 28

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks Darksteel, so I laid the tailgate flat and moved and it had play. What was discovered is on the left side there appears to be a washer, and the right side there is not one. See pictures. Curious is this a miss by RAM or does your have the same? The right side is where it has the play.
I don't THINK I have that large of a gap on the right side.
Currently my truck is in the shop so i can't go outside and look.
On the plus side that's not part of the MFT housing itself so it should be the same on any truck even with a regular tailgate

I can confirm the left side looks just like yours
1689271353303.jpeg

I did need to add a bunch of washers inside my MFT because it was screwed up from the factory so it's very possible you are missing something.

This is the closest picture I have of it but it's at a bad angle to see the hinge area
1689271139168.jpeg
I did need to adjust the MFT right door beucase it was hitting the paint and scuffing it, but that was in the MFT itself, a little touchup paint and adjustments inside the MFT bringing the top of the door to the left fixed it
1689271285388.png

Jdon

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread....

Darksteel165 How did you adjust the right side... Mine is too tight to the body when closed, scuffing paint.​

Users who are viewing this thread