5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi Function Tailgate brackets

Turboaddict

Reaction score
I just purchased a new ram with the multi function tailgate, no ramboxes. I have done lots of research on the threads regarding the "Right on bracket" to allow the installation of a hard fold cover such as the bakflip.

My question is, I am up in Canada and will be heading to the states in the near future and planning to pick up the brackets. Looking for an opinion on removing the factory braces for the time being so I can run the cover, my plan would be to NOT use the tailgate as swing doors, strickly open it like a normal tailgate. Does anyone see an issue in this? I know the braces are there for a reason, but my interpretation is that they are for the added stress of the swing function. I am assuming under normal operation it should not have any strain on the bedsides.

Thanks, any input is appreciated.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have no direct experience with not having the brackets installed but i believe that your assumption is correct.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They are definitely structural supports but they are needed even when the tailgate is closed because the 2 pieces do not have the solid rigidity of a traditional tailgate. So I wouldn't advise it, but the other problem i see with it is that you paid almost a grand for that option!! i wouldn't sacrifice it for a tonneau cover when there are A LOT more now that work with the Muiltigate setup than when it first came out.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the traditional tailgate isn't solid either as there are gaps all around the solid part of the gate. Add to that the fact that those 12" brackets in the front corner aren't going to add significant strength down the 5.7 or 6.4' length of the bed side. (ie. they wouldnt' prevent the body side flex from someone hanging on the tailgate) My guess is that they either discovered through analysis or test that there was a vibration caused by the weight of the MFT assembly and those brackets were the simplest and cheapest way to address it.
Just my 2 cents.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok hear me out. The Traditional tailgate itself IS 1 solid piece compared to the MFT (which is 3 connected pieces). So the gaps at the edges of a traditional tailgate do not really matter when it is closed because it is latched to the studs in the bed sides. So were it to take force from either outside area, the tailgate would act like the walls do... the gaps could close, but when they come in contact with the actual tailgate it would be one rigid piece with the weak points being only at the edges where the latches are. The MFT on the other hand has a frame around it that allows it to work the way it does... BUT even when it is closed, were it to take force from either outside area the weak points would be the edges as well as the top of the joint between the two tailgate "door panels" and it would buckle there almost immediately. The only rigidity the frame around the MFT offers is along the bottom of the tailgate itself where you also already have the bed. So they put opposing supports at the front of the bed at the top (which would have to be connected to something else up under the bed rails that would make that make a difference. But i do not know that for a fact.)

So all I'm saying (in my opinion) is: regardless of their reason for putting them there, and whether or not it is the best/worst/middle solution and whether it's cheap/middle/expensive, the fact remains that they added it. And regardless of how much support they actually add in every conceivable scenario, some support is better than no support, so to say "eh, you probly don't need em" would be ill advised when again, there are solutions for tonneaus that work with the MFT that don't require modification to them.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess we agree to disagree on this. I installed the Right On brackets and use a Gatortrax which in combination provide more support than the brackets alone.

If I had a reason to take them off for a short period of time like the OP wanted to, I would...you would not and that's fine.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fair enuff. In the end we all own our own trucks and use them the way we want to. Which is what we are paying for. haha(y)

Users who are viewing this thread