5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG with etorque and a 3.69 rear gear ratio

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2020 limited. It was a equipped with 3.96 rear cogs. Because I got 18K of the
Sticker price ($68,500 to 50,500) I figure I will accept the lower rear gears.
Should I expect lower MPG results with this setup

3rtfan

Reaction score
Yes mpg will be lower. Are you sure its not 3.92? My Rebel with 3.92 gets considerably less than my previous Big Horn with 3.21 ratio. City is a little worse and highway is considerable.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LongHorn, ORP, Long Bed, 4x4, Etrq, and 3.92's: Lifetime is around 16mpg, mostly highway, unloaded, with a BakFlip MX4 bedcover (if it makes any difference).. I do not have the air suspension, so that 'might' help you alittle.

Florida Ranger

Reaction score
2020 Laramie 4x4 , 5.7, 3.92 gears, I get 17.8 to 18.2 on Interstate at 70 to 75 mph. I only have 2500 miles so far. My brother same truck gets 18 to 20 mpg he has 5500 miles on his . He said mileage and power improved at approx. 4000 miles. I am hoping mine improves like his did. Both are non -etorque..

Gitter

Reaction score
Im getting around 16-17 MPG at 65-70 MPH with my 4x4 eTorque Hemi with 3.92 and heavy 34" tires. I was getting about 18 MPG before the tires, but that was before the engine had 1k miles on it.

Oddly enough, my city MPGs aren't much worse (14-15MPG). Not sure if it's the gearing, eTorque and the auto start stop, but I'm not complaining.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Here is my observation. Rebel with 3.92 gears and eTorque Hemi. MPG on window sticker says 22 on the highway. In real world, I never can get better than 19 mpg. But I did some not-close-to-real-life tests and I was able to get 22 mpg on the highway constantly.
I-90 from Seattle to Spokane. If you drove there, you know that you need to pass the mountain ridge (Snoqualmie Summit), and then landscape becomes pretty flat. So what I tried:
1. Go 60 mph in the 70 mph speed zone. Other truck drivers were looking at me like I don't know how to drive my truck. But that is still considered "highway speed" my EPA.
2. Use regenerative braking going down the hill after passing the highest point of the mountain ridge to stay at 60 mph and not accelerating further. In 30 minutes I'm pretty sure the battery is 80%+ charged.
3. Then you drive on almost perfectly flat interstate. Still going 60 mph. Eco mode stays on, while without fully charged battery it works on 60 mph only if you are going slightly down the hill. The biggest benefit of eTorque for me that it allows Hemi to stay in Eco (4-cylinder) mode longer.
4. I reset fuel consumption meter on the screen at that point.

After an hour of driving on flat road at 60 mph on 8th gear with Eco mode turned on all the time, I CONSTANLY get 21.5-22.2 mpg, depending on wind conditions. I also was able to repeat same trick in other places where you go down the hill for some time and then drive on the flat road 60 mph - same results. So FCA wasn't actually lying that EPA rating on a highway was 22 mpg with eTorque. That was just a very synthetic test that they've submitted to EPA commission, and they didn't lie.

Will you go on the interstate in perfect no-wind, no-rain, no-snow conditions 60 mph in 70 mph zone? I don't think so. Does that 22 mpg last long? No, as soon as battery charge is depleted in ~1 hour, Eco mode will turn off.

In theory, you will get to a higher speed on 3.21 gears on the same RPMs on 8th gear than I get to drive 60 mph on 3.92 gears. But I don't think that it will make a difference, since I believe that air resistance is killing MPG, not higher RPMs. 3.21 gears will not create enough power to the wheels to constantly have Eco mode turned on at 60 mph. But I haven't checked that fact.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hate to tell you this, but the etorque NEVER RUNS on the electric motor of the motor/generator like a PRIUS. The electric motor is used to restart and boost the engine when leaving from a stop, and to give regenerative braking on long downhills, smooth shifts, and smooth transition between 4 and 8 cylinder ECO/VVT mode. The only place I have noticed a benefit from the etorque is in stop and go traffic and at stop light riddled city boulavards when auto stop is active....

Bill Siuru- 1613785992138.png
"When lifting off the throttle at speed, eTorque’s motor/generator begins to generate electrical energy that feeds back to its battery pack while also smoothing transmission downshifts. It provides a brief torque boost of 90 lb-ft in V-6 RAMs and 130 lb-ft in V-8 models. Along with adding torque during shifts, it contributes torque while transitioning in and out of four-cylinder mode during V-8 cylinder deactivation. The eTorque system restarts the engine and resumes forward motion within 70 milliseconds after an auto-stop. An interactive deceleration fuel shut-off system also saves fuel."

Users who are viewing this thread