5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG, door mounts, windshield sensor programming,

Nc_nate

Reaction score
Hi, Friends of the 5th Gen.

I'm on year 2+ of my 2019 1500 Bighorn night edition at 47,000 miles. Adds: 1) all LED interior lights, 2) Huffy mud flaps, 3) AT matching nerf bars, 4) Continental AT terrains, 5) front tow hooks shot black, 6) smoked front bug guard (cuts back windshield splatter a scoche). I mostly love the truck, but a few gripes and a few inquiries. I have done so much reading on the streamosphere about MPG, and get it that the manufacturer's 21-24 is likely too high, but 17MPG? I'm hoping you folks on the interweb will have some good feedback on these topics:

Question one: improving MPG
  • What have you done to improve MPG? I don't see any true evidence that cold air intake or K&N produce significant change in HP or MPG. I've thought about replacing sparks with new iridium plugs, new coil packs. Anybody seen change from this? Will new iridium sparkilators be better than those in the block from the manufacurer? I have new Continental AT Terrains - no change in MPG but great tires. I've seen that cleaning mass air flow sensor with MAF cleaner might help any vehicle, as well as replacing upstream air flow - but don't know if that will truly help on the RAM. Dealer says programming is great despite my gripes that 17 MPG is nowhere new 21-24 stated MPG to expect.
Question two: programming sensor for high beams and rain
  • In replacing my cracked windshield, the windshield guys had to install one that accommodated the auto-high-beam and rain sensor, as it's clearly there. That took me down a path on the interweb that revealed I could just program it on my magical 8.4" Ram screen. Uh, no. Nothing there. SO... how do I program for the auto high-beam and rain senors that appear to have been added by the manufacturer but isn't on the interior system screen?
Question three: door mounts loose after adding better speakers
  • Where can I affordably buy the right door panela mounts (two styles)? I added Infinity reference speakers in the doors and dash (a great improvement). I've done loads of door panel removals in my life, but on the Ram, even with good pry tools, while the door stays in place, the mounts are easily pulled off once removed. Passenger door buzzes sometimes with great bass response, so I need to replace all the clips, if affordable.
Question four: is there an affordable quality LED front headlamp replacement?
  • I've usually bought mid-grade cars and optioned them up over time. That's true with my 1500. I'd love to add the slick / bright LEDs but dang! Is there an affordable / high quality LED whole headlamp replacement set or am I left to the Infotainment set (what... $2k?)?
Question five: which is real - bigfoot or the new Dakota?
  • Truth be told, I love the 1500. That said, i loved the old Dakota and keep wondering: When in the world is the Dakota being released? When is the Rampage coming to the US.?

I'll change the tranny fluid and differential gear oil in the fall - feel free to comment on the joy there. I changed plugs on a pentistar (Jeep), so I know the joy I'm in for there. On additions, I have loads of other questions, including adding aftermarket bump step, passenger power seat, door handle passive entry sensor, upgrade to leather via katskin or leatherseats.com, dash and door trim swap to brown accent trim, dual liner vs Amazon affordable spray in liner, side tie-downs in the bed and more. Please feel free to comment. First time I've ever posted on the net.

Thanks for the feedback!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Question one, be happy with 17mpg, that's more than most get. As for cleaning the MAF sensor, Dodge/RAM doesn't use MAF sensors. If someone on the interwebs suggested doing that to your truck, ignore any further suggestions from them, because they obviously don't know what they are talking about when it comes to RAM trucks.

Question 2* for auto high beams and rain sense wipers, you need to have auto climate control and will need to replace a couple sensors. Then use alfaObd or Jscan to configure the BCM to gain the functions

Users who are viewing this thread