5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most reliable (power) modifications?

MikeS54

Reaction score
I have the RAM Air flow. Looks good, sounds good. Easy install. I think it's almost double the price of the Vararam so if i had to do it again, i'd probably go Vararam.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're looking for actual power increases, a drop in filter and muffler swap's not going to do anything noticeable.

You're going to want full exhaust and a tune to get something noticeable. Add a CAI and bigger throttle body to the headers/exhaust/tune, and that's most likely the cheapest, easiest, bolt-on option.

jcjohn

Reaction score
If you're looking for actual power increases, a drop in filter and muffler swap's not going to do anything noticeable.

You're going to want full exhaust and a tune to get something noticeable. Add a CAI and bigger throttle body to the headers/exhaust/tune, and that's most likely the cheapest, easiest, bolt-on option.
Did you notice any of the published HP/Torque/MPG gains after installing your Vararam? Do they offer a oilless filter? I live on gravel and have a K&N CAI on my 2000 Silverado. That thing pulls greasy, dirty oil into the throttle body, and I want to avoid the same on my RAM

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you notice any of the published HP/Torque/MPG gains after installing your Vararam? Do they offer a oilless filter? I live on gravel and have a K&N CAI on my 2000 Silverado. That thing pulls greasy, dirty oil into the throttle body, and I want to avoid the same on my RAM
Zero MPG gains, maybe a bit of HP/Torque, but if there is some it's negligible. CAI's don't do much until you can open the exhaust and tune for increased air flow.

I couldn't find an oil-less filter when I was looking at them. I don't mind the oiled filters, but with this one I've noticed a lot of bugs sticking to it since it's open. I removed the top two slats of the AGS so that it has constant ram air.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
with all the exhaust manifold cracking i've read about, i'm suprised no one mentioned new headers. i'm assuming headers and exhaust coupled with the CAI would be even better.

dannymcd

Reaction score
with all the exhaust manifold cracking i've read about, i'm suprised no one mentioned new headers. i'm assuming headers and exhaust coupled with the CAI would be even better.
I was thinking about doing just shorty's with the stock catback, it'll probably net about 20-30 HP and torque if the Hemi is anything like the 6.0 SBC and is probably the cheapest HP/dollar mod you can do that you'll actually notice. I looked at the intake and it's really similar to the old GMT400's with the BBC pretty much a straight shot not very restrictive at all. I threw a K&N in there and that's probably just as good as those 4-600 CAI.

Users who are viewing this thread