5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moe's Performance - What am I getting into?

jaychris

Reaction score
2019 Laramie, non ORP

I've done a few minor upgrades and installs. I have a home machine shop and am pretty good at building/fixing most things mechanical or electrical.

But I really have never dug into vehicles. One thing I wish I had on my Laramie is a limited slip diff. Everytime I try to tight turn up the hill to my shop and experience "one wheel peel" (or turn out of our street, etc...) until I shift into 4-auto, I think about it.

Looking over Moe's Performance, I see an OEM LSD and I'm wondering - what sort of project am I staring at if I try to take this on? I have no idea what the level of effort is here.

Ditto for swapping out gears to 3.92 or maybe non-OEM 3.55.

There's no installation instructions for those parts, so I'm wondering what I'd be looking at, given my particular set of skills here... :)

Kntoys

Reaction score
Had an off road shop do some a few yrs ago, was around 450 installed

fireron

Reaction score
Mopar makes the 3.55 ratio for the Pentastar powered trucks so you could use factory gears if you wanted. I would look at the Eaton True Track instead of factory anti-slip for a lot of reasons. A pretty big project for your first attempt to do gears and the new diff. It can be done, but having a mechanic friend help you would be a good idea

Chris

Reaction score
If your main reason for wanting a LSD is due to losing grip when turning, then I strongly advise you reconsider an LSD.

LSD’s help with slow speed movement on low traction surfaces or reducing slippage in straight line take offs, but they are known to make turning more swirly and would make your problem even worse. With an LSD, you have to take them even slower, as the normal slippage that keeps the other tire planted and moving forward would instead cause that tire to also break traction and ultimately just lead to fishtailing with both tires slipping.

These trucks are not meant to power through turns like performance cars, and you need to take them slower and not throttle it until after the turn is complete in order to not lose traction.

John813

Reaction score
Having helped my father(who is a good weekend mechanic) swapping a rear diff years ago on his Bronco...

Just pay a good shop to do it. I learned so many new cuss words that day as a kid. lol

Re-looking into swapping gears too. I messaged Matt at Moe's months ago and never got a response on gears, but that was before he opened up the 2019+ page for diffs/gears

Gearwhine

Reaction score
This is a casing swap, rather than a "lunchbox" type system. It's pretty time consuming and involved. I am unsure of what the inside of our truck's read end looks like, but what you'll likely need for a full job is

Bearing puller
Bearing press
Marking compound
Flux Brush
Dial indicator with magnetic mount
Large torque wrench (typically 200+ lbs for pinion nut. The pinion gear likely will not have to be removed, but if backlash can't be finalized with it in stock location, you might need this. This depends on the tolerances of the old differential case vs new)
...and other basic hand tools

The axle shafts will need to be pulled as well.

yeah...I've done a lot of these in my rock crawling days. I'd rather pay someone nowadays.

jaychris

Reaction score
thanks guys. I guess I've also been thinking, what extra value would a LSD provide when 4wd-auto basically does that, right? Maybe in a different way, but to the same effect. At least, it works that way for getting around the corner and up the hill to my shop in slippery conditions.

Last edited:

SupremeWill

Reaction score
thanks guys. I guess I've also been thinking, what extra value would a LSD provide when 4wd-auto basically does that, right? Maybe in a different way, but to the same effect. At least, it works that way for getting around the corner and up the hill to my shop in slippery conditions.

I got tired of the one wheel burnouts and the difference in wet weather performance. My 14 had lsd and i never had the problems i have experienced with this truck. A couple weeks ago i got stuck in my yard due to my one wheel peel, so i ordered my parts along with new 3.92 gears to set my truck up like my 14 was. I also got the parts from Moes. Im having a local shop do the work because its more than i want to tackle.

Im sure people are going to chime in and tell me im wrong....and im ok with them having their opinion.

SupremeWill

Reaction score
Im sorry but i dont have the part numbers handy. I picked up the parts from Moes and dropped them off at the shop that is doing the work next Saturday. I will try to get the part numbers when i am there.

If you are serious about doing this hit at Matt at Moes and he can get you all the info you need and the best price.
Thinking of doing this also. Can you list the parts and part numbers if you have them?

Thanks

SupremeWill

Reaction score

I believe these are the items i got. They also offer a master install kit, but i opted for the basic install kit because my truck i low mileage

NordicNevs

Reaction score
When I reached out to Matt he said the 3.92 swap isn’t possible just yet on a 4x4

The front housing conversion isn’t available.

Don’t just do the rear. If you drop into 4 you’ll total your t case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread