5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

modified factory intake

toxicfusion

Reaction score
Hi,

I was reading about others modifying their factory intake (2019 ram 1500 laramie) removing the charcoal filter - it is restrictive. I've done so myself today. However, hope I didnt make a mistake.

Appears the charcoal filter is in place with plastic that was heat molded. I used a small drill bill and drilled out and drilled through. However, didnt realize how THIN the plastic was. So a few drilled right through the top airbox area - on the outside. DO not believe this will effect it in anyway.

Curious if others have done the same and experienced or had the same happen where it drilled through. I was even going slow. Used a putty knife to lift up the filter and pop out.

Hope I wont need to replace OEM top portion of intake... or just replace with CAI or the veraram.. hrmm...

Repsol69

Reaction score
I removed mine also..think you could just fill that hole u drilled with some silicone just to be on the safe side...i would think its gonna suck air...

toxicfusion

Reaction score
I removed mine also..think you could just fill that hole u drilled with some silicone just to be on the safe side...i would think its gonna suck air...

Yeah, Going to fill with silicone or filler that'll harden up. It's two spots that popped through. I was reading from another member that drilled through to get the silly charcoal filter out. As I looked it all over and it appeared to be affixed with molded plastic.

Would I have just been able to pop it out with force or snap it off? Perhaps not my best judgement on a mod. Was doing first oil change and took the intake off and looked it all over, and then went for a bit to pop it out.sigh.

Feel like an idiot if I could of just been able to force it out with some leverage or with a flat tool or putty knife in the corners. I'll look into replacement CAI (factory is already a CAI piped to grill). Going to check price on OEM replacement top portion based on P/N. compare it to aftermarket CAI

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's luckily the cheapest thing you can brake on the truck. Don't sweat it. And yes, if you can lift a beer to your lips, you could've just ripped it off.

toxicfusion

Reaction score
sigh. I feel like an idiot now. Just it looked solid in place. I could of just used a razor and cut outer edge to cut out the charcoal pad. Should have tried putty knife or my knife at the corners of it first. Even when I did pry after drilling out the round fillers, edges of the plastic charcoal filter snapped.

Users who are viewing this thread