5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mid-cycle refresh

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Five years on the market now unchanged. The 5th Gen truck is getting long in the tooth for today's pickup truck market. I wonder when they will update the Ram inside and out? Knowing Stellantis, probably never. But it's very strange how all of their big sellers (Ram 1500, Ram HD, Wrangler, etc.) are sitting around year after year getting stale.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Five years on the market now unchanged. The 5th Gen truck is getting long in the tooth for today's pickup truck market. I wonder when they will update the Ram inside and out? Knowing Stellantis, probably never. But it's very strange how all of their big sellers (Ram 1500, Ram HD, Wrangler, etc.) are sitting around year after year getting stale.
I don't mind it.

You are rather pessimistic about Ram in your posts. Why?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't mind it.

You are rather pessimistic about Ram in your posts. Why?
Pessimism for asking a question that so many others are wondering? Ok..

And I don't "mind" my truck either. If I did I wouldn't be driving it. That doesn't mean that we should be fine with Stellantis letting the vehicles we're fans of rot and die.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ehh I don’t mind it and didn’t mind the Ram classic either.. still ahead of the game compared to similar priced builds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pessimism for asking a question that so many others are wondering? Ok..

And I don't "mind" my truck either. If I did I wouldn't be driving it. That doesn't mean that we should be fine with Stellantis letting the vehicles we're fans of rot and die.
It's the way the questions and comments are presented, not the underlying intention necessarily.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should update the HDs before the 1500s in my mind.

Plans are probably constantly changing with todays world.

They and ALL others can’t even build the current models how and as fast as they want without cutting /changing things.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ram has been making changes just not like other companies.
Most produce 1 model and keep it almost 100% the same for 5-6 years and then change it all.
Every couple years Ram changes some things on their trucks

2022 they release UC5
2023 they released the digital dashboard

I'm sure there are a bunch of other things they changed\added.

I would much rather them enable more features for different builds, like Ramboxes on a 6'4 bed.

If you want your truck to look differnet buy a body kit, change the hood, bunch of stuff you can do.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All I want is one model year/chance to buy the 6.4 SRT in a basic trim like bighorn before the hemi is axed.

Maybe some slight tweaks to the fascia to keep it a little fresh, but it's still the best truck on the market IMHO. The only weak spot is the 5.7 hemi as the top engine choice.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you must not know about Toyota 4Runners. This is gonna be the 9th year since their last mid-cycle refresh in 2014. And people are still buying them left and right.

jdawgjm

Reaction score
you must not know about Toyota 4Runners. This is gonna be the 9th year since their last mid-cycle refresh in 2014. And people are still buying them left and right.

And it wasn’t really a refresh. It’s still the same old truck.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
By most accounts, it’ll be the 2024 model year. By those same accounts, it was going to be 2023, but supply chain issues threw a major wrench in the works.

The REV gives us a small sneak peak at the interior changes. Namely, a bigger replacement for the 12” screen. I expect any other interior changes will be modest, lest they make the REV look dated before it even hits the streets.

My totally-uniformed speculation: 2024 will be the last year for the Hemi in a 1500. Hurricane will be an option for 2024, but by 2025, it’ll be the only engine (unless the Pentastar sticks around as a lower cost option).

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
By most accounts, it’ll be the 2024 model year. By those same accounts, it was going to be 2023, but supply chain issues threw a major wrench in the works.

The REV gives us a small sneak peak at the interior changes. Namely, a bigger replacement for the 12” screen. I expect any other interior changes will be modest, lest they make the REV look dated before it even hits the streets.

My totally-uniformed speculation: 2024 will be the last year for the Hemi in a 1500. Hurricane will be an option for 2024, but by 2025, it’ll be the only engine (unless the Pentastar sticks around as a lower cost option).
Why would the pentastar stay? If they are keeping any engine now it would be the hemi not the pentastar. I don't think there would be a single reason to have a pentastar over the hurricane.

Also the rev looks like a 5th gen

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why would the pentastar stay? If they are keeping any engine now it would be the hemi not the pentastar. I don't think there would be a single reason to have a pentastar over the hurricane.

Also the rev looks like a 5th gen

The 2024 will also look like a 5th Gen, because it will be a 5th Gen. We’re talking about a mid-cycle refresh, not a complete redesign. I doubt we’d see that before 2029. So expect minor tweaks, not overhauls.

I’m not saying the Pentastar will stick around; I’ve got no idea. It depends on how much cheaper it is to make the Pentastar vs the Hurricane S.O., and how the fuel economy compares. So two reasons: lower starting price, and CAFE.

I could very well be wrong about 2024 being the last year for the Hemi; my speculation comes with no warranty, expressed or implied.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would like for them to introduce a refresh by late 2024 as a ‘25 model as long as they don’t neuter the engine options any more than they already have. With how bad interest rates are right now (and they’ll only get worse), I’ll be back in the market around December 2024. I don’t want to buy a third DT with no refresh.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coming from a Titan that didn't get touched for 11 years, I'm still trying to keep up with what the newer Rams get 2+ years from mine. I agree with @jimothy on the engines, pretty sure they were waiting to push out the Hurricane before making major changes.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It has been confirmed by Stellantis that the 2024 model year is the Mid-Cycle Refresh. Which means will will see it in a few months.

So expect a revised front and rear facias, different wheels, and likely some more interior updates. Originally the Mid-Cycle was going to be in 2022 or 2023, but Covid changed those plans.

For example, Car & Driver picked the current 1500 RAM as still the best full size truck on the market (did the same in 2022), beating the likes of the new Tundra and more recently updated & refreshed trucks, so as old as the current RAM is, it's still pretty well regarded. Though I agree, it's about time for some updates.

The Best Full-Size Pickup Trucks of 2023

Oldphart

Reaction score
After 9 years, they are likely to have most , if not all the bugs worked out. I was interested in the 5th gen RAM when if first came out but I know better than to buy a first year vehicle, even if most of the running gear is a carryover. Those who did were referred to by RAM as 'beta testers". Frankly, one is better served buying the last year of a model rather than the first year of the new one.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After 9 years, they are likely to have most , if not all the bugs worked out. I was interested in the 5th gen RAM when if first came out but I know better than to buy a first year vehicle, even if most of the running gear is a carryover. Those who did were referred to by RAM as 'beta testers". Frankly, one is better served buying the last year of a model rather than the first year of the new one.
not really much bugs to work out. those rigs are as old school as you can get with not much tech involved.
but then the same old problems remain the whole time: ****ty sway bar end links that destroy CV boots when broken (been there, done that, 3 times until i had enough and yanked off the sway bar in the middle of one of my overlanding trips)

Users who are viewing this thread