5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Member Introduction

dugpat

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm Doug and looking forward to being a member of this forum. I currently drive some old vehicles (2002 Tundra/3.4L V-6, and a 2010 Odyssey 3.5L (5vz-fe) V-6 the base eng. w/o cyl. deactivation). I'm interested in purchasing a new 2020 or 2019 Pacifica, or Dodge Grand Caravan. They both use the Pentastar 3.6L V-6, but the Dodge engine nomenclature differs from the Pacifica eng. which shows something like w/ess on the end if I'm remembering correctly, and the Dodge engine just shows VVT (VARIABLE VALVE TIMING). Does the Dodge also use cylinder deactivation, and also it shows a lower mpg than the Pacifica. Could you guys shed a little light on this. It is hard to gleen this info from the engine specs I've looked up. I've edited my question because I found some info that show the designation (ESS) on the Pacifica eng. relates to electonic start and stop feature - that may account for the MPG difference?? I don't think I would like this feature one bit!
Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:
The Grand Caravan doesn’t have cylinder deactivation and it has a 6 speed transmission , I don’t think the Pacifica uses cylinder deactivation either but it has a 9 speed transmission hence the better fuel economy . Not that you’re not welcome on this forum because you are but there is a forum for the chrysler minivans , they’ll have a lot more info about them .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back