5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melted wire harness

DO82

Reaction score
So I’ve been having issues with my fogs after converting to LED’s. I found that my harness has melted. Stocks are 55w, the LED’s are 60w. Will 5w really make that much of a difference to melt it? Will this happen again when I get a new harness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There’s a lot of factors that go into that: true amp draw, wire sizes, connector quality, power/ground quality, ambient temps in that area.

P=IV is the equation to figure out what amp draw you should have. So with the info you provided, that would be 60/12 = 5A expected draw for one led unit.

tsbbartholomew1

Reaction score
So I’ve been having issues with my fogs after converting to LED’s. I found that my harness has melted. Stocks are 55w, the LED’s are 60w. Will 5w really make that much of a difference to melt it? Will this happen again when I get a new harness?

If I had to guess something more went into the demise of the wiring harness than the addition of 1 amp from the new LED bulbs. Actually a 60 watt equivalent LED is going to pull less than the original bulbs IMHO. I would check for a short or grounding issues.

DO82

Reaction score
If I had to guess something more went into the demise of the wiring harness than the addition of 1 amp from the new LED bulbs. Actually a 60 watt equivalent LED is going to pull less than the original bulbs IMHO. I would check for a short or grounding issues.

This is exactly what I thought. I removed the canbus to see what happens. I’ll deal with the hyper flash which is barley noticeable for week and see how it pans out. My original issue was the fogs would randomly work here and there after the LED’s. Hope it was just bad canbus harnesses. I did cheap out on those. Thanks.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There’s a lot of factors that go into that: true amp draw, wire sizes, connector quality, power/ground quality, ambient temps in that area.

P=IV is the equation to figure out what amp draw you should have. So with the info you provided, that would be 60/12 = 5A expected draw for one led unit.
LED's will never draw that much. A 60W LED will draw maybe 1.2 A. LED's work with forward current on max. 3.6 Volts.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LED's will never draw that much. A 60W LED will draw maybe 1.2 A. LED's work with forward current on max. 3.6 Volts.
I disagree depending on application. What I posted is simple science, it is what it is. However, if the LEDs do operate on reduced voltage then that will change the formula like you mentioned. I have to assume 12 V if not enough information is provided.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California

No and maybe. For me, enough juice to melt a harness points to a short to ground. Do the new bulbs fit right? Were there any modifications? Is there a big ceramic resistor to drop the voltage that gets really hot? Any wires get pinched when reassembling things?

DO82

Reaction score
No and maybe. For me, enough juice to melt a harness points to a short to ground. Do the new bulbs fit right? Were there any modifications? Is there a big ceramic resistor to drop the voltage that gets really hot? Any wires get pinched when reassembling things?

No all is well with the lights and they fit right. I have them as highs lows and fogs. No issues with the highs and lows

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Right, so one of the three numbers input into the equation changes depending on what characteristics the LED has, and you get a different result.

DO82

Reaction score
All good, it was the cheap anti flicker harness I put in. You get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread