5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maximum Trailer Length for Ram 1500

jyako1962

Reaction score
I see tons of discussions about maximum trailer weight, tongue weight, etc. for towing a travel trailer. We have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with a 3.92 axle and are looking to purchase our first travel trailer. Searching the internet I will see some people say NEVER tow more than a 30' long trailer on a 1/2 ton truck, but no explanation. Others will say that they are towing larger than 30' trailers with their 1/2 ton Rams without any issues. What is the true answer, and if I'm within the tow weight limitations of the truck, why does it matter if the trailer is 28' long, or 32' long. Appreciate peoples input and real life experience. I'm a newbie to purchasing a TT, so I don't want to purchase something that will result in white knuckled drives!

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I see tons of discussions about maximum trailer weight, tongue weight, etc. for towing a travel trailer. We have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with a 3.92 axle and are looking to purchase our first travel trailer. Searching the internet I will see some people say NEVER tow more than a 30' long trailer on a 1/2 ton truck, but no explanation. Others will say that they are towing larger than 30' trailers with their 1/2 ton Rams without any issues. What is the true answer, and if I'm within the tow weight limitations of the truck, why does it matter if the trailer is 28' long, or 32' long. Appreciate peoples input and real life experience. I'm a newbie to purchasing a TT, so I don't want to purchase something that will result in white knuckled drives!
the true answer is it depends
depends on gross weight of trailer
depends on what is gross weight of truck as shown on B pillar sticker and what you carry as it reduces the weight if the tongue of the trailer.
depends whether you get a fifth wheel or regular trailer.

1500 pick-ups are not made to haul a very large trailer

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I expect if you are towing an RV trailer over 30 ft with your 1500 it will be a white knuckle experience that has nothing to do with the length of the trailer. A trailer that long will likely be very close or over maximum acceptable weight limits.

However, proper towing is a huge safety issue and I would personally pay no attention whatsoever to what random people say on the internet.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As stated above it is a complicated answer. You need to consider all the factors and components and accout for all the people, fuel and gear in the truck and trailer and how you load the trailer as this all impacts payload and tongue weight. Even if you find a trailer over 30' with a tongue weight that is within limits you'll almost certainly need a weight distributing hitch and sway control and remember of you're pulling a trailer with water in the tanks that adds movement and weight. If you're at the upper limits of capacities and will be towing in hilly/mountainous terrain and/or wind etc. You may find you'd wish you had a smaller trailer or a bigger truck.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're planning to visit any state parks, a lot of them won't fit anything over 30'. Aside from that, what is the maximum OTR length these days, 53'? With any long trailer, you're fighting a large moment of inertia and sail area, and as others have said will probably be pushing payload limits as well. You'll need a top notch sway controlling hitch like ProPride. My gut says you should really be looking for a dually or fifth wheel if you want to pull anything over 30'.

Users who are viewing this thread