5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max tongue weight for Laramie

fish mojo

Reaction score
Towing capacity questions. Thankfully, I'm not tied to a specific trailer and truck combo yet.

The truck I want to get will be Laramie Sport 4x4 6'4 bed, 33 gallon fuel tank, ORP, 3.92, no sunroof. Most of the other options wouldn't have impact on payload. I'm guessing payload on this will be 1200-1300 pound range.

Probably put a fiberglass truck cap on it and usually just the wife and I (350 combined weight) . Maybe 100 pounds of other gear.

Trailer will be smaller 21' range. I like the Outdoors RV 21 RD (no slide). They tend to run heavy for their size- Dry weight rating 4995, dry hitch 510. I'm guessing wet will be around 700 tongue weight plus the WD hitch.

Is this going to be a good fit? I know a 2500 will give better margin for weight, but I really want the Gen 5 ram.

Will the 4 corner air suspension be a benefit or a detriment?
Thanks.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Generally 10% is the target for tongue weight, however, your truck is up to pulling this trailer. I am not a big fan of air suspension from two previous experiences, so I'd go with rubber bumpers in the springs. However, the air suspension provides some nice options for connecting the trailer (drive ball under hitch, raise truck).

Users who are viewing this thread