5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manually turning off truck at long stoplights (on a non-auto-stop/start truck)

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Mine doesn't have the auto-start/stop (let's call it "A$$") feature, which is fine. I had it on my 2017 F150 and had mixed feelings about it. However, Ford says (and I assume other manufacturers do the same) it had a heavy-duty starter and battery to compensate for the extra A$$ cycles.

My question is about doing it myself at what I know will be long stoplights (or other long-idle traffic events.) How hard is this on the regular battery and starter? I doubt mine are considered "heavy duty" since it doesn't have the A$$ functionality. Are there other factors/systems to consider besides these two? I'm not doing this very often but if it's going to be more than, say, 20-30 seconds, I consider it. Let's call it 1-2 times/day.

I saw (I think) on Engineering Explained where, roughly speaking, you start saving money after 7-8 seconds of A$$. That is, you'll use more gas restarting your vehicle than you would at idle for up to 7-8 seconds, after which it's better not to have been idling during that time. This number was calculated using something like a standard Toyota (or Honda?) 2.4L under controlled conditions, so YMMV (literally and figuratively).

At about the 1:25 min mark he starts talking about start/stop and what you save.

Thanks, very interesting. Since mine doesn't have E-torque, I still wonder about the impact of manually stopping and starting the engine as mentioned in my OP.

You would have to be doing turning it off and on all the time which would involve putting it in and out of park if you don't have Etorque. I bet mine turns off and on 25 times on each way to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back