5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lux PowerStep Lights

TNSmokee

Reaction score
Got started on the PowerStep Light install yesterday with my son-in-law. He had a wire tester and I wanted to verify the wire from the bed light to connect to. RamVader said it was white but mine looked more of a brownish color. Anyway it was the same as RamVader's and I used a wire tap to connect to that wire.
View attachment 64968
The wire tap I had and used was probably the wrong one, too big. We had trouble getting a reading from the tester and couldn't get a continuity reading either. I ended up shaving some of the wire insulation off and striped my added power wire (blue wire). Once I did that everything tested hot. Now I'm committed I guess.
View attachment 64970
Tucked the wire tap back into the factory sheathing and taped it in place. Reconnected the plug and reattached it to it's mounting location.
View attachment 64971
This picture shows the harness and factory mounting location. The blue wire has a butt connector on it and this is where it will terminate at. The white wire is my ground. I have the curt trailer harness setup for my add-on reverse lights. This made it easier for me to ground and be able to use a butt connector.
View attachment 64973
The lights are magnetic and are attached to this rail halfway between the doors. This is the front door. I looped the wire under the rail to the backside where I attached it.
View attachment 64974
Right now I'm using black gorilla tape. I put a base strip down and then covered the wire with another. I'm going to keep an eye on this and think about a better way.
View attachment 64975
Passenger side.
View attachment 64976
The two wires meet here and route behind the bar for the PowerStep. I used zip ties to attach to some factory wiring and followed that around the the rear of the felt covered box for our floor boxes.
View attachment 64977
View attachment 64978
The wires drop behind the floor box cubby in-line with this frame rail. This is my crossing point to the driver's side.
View attachment 64979
I don't have a fish tape so I had to use a wire hanger to guide the wires across. The hanger was perfect and you can see the wires dangling on the driver's side. This is my stopping point for the day though. It seems like it's 110 degrees in my garage. I'll pick back up on Tuesday.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Perfect this is easier to follow in case I decide to try to tackle this mod as well. Thanks!

TNSmokee

Reaction score
Perfect this is easier to follow in case I decide to try to tackle this mod as well. Thanks!
Your welcome, I totally agree. Don't know how many times I've searched through the What have you done thread looking for something. I'm hoping to have lighted lights this evening.

TNSmokee

Reaction score
It rained really hard here this afternoon so I wasn't able to totally complete the job but the lights are temporarily connected to see if and how they work. They work as designed for my liking.
Here it is with the doors closed and key fob unlocking the doors.
PowerStep Lights-4.jpg
Now a little darker with the door open.
PowerStep Lights-7.jpg
I hope to have it completed tomorrow and will include the rest of the step by step with pictures. It looks amazing to me.

TNSmokee

Reaction score
I'm going to consider this one done. I ordered some 3m zip tie clips from amazon to replace where black tape is but that will be easy. Here is where the above install left off at. I came out of the cross member to do the driver's side.
PowerStep Wiring-10.jpg
and then started with the front door and then the rear door. I just repeated from the passenger side. (Pictures are in the original post) I ran the wires following a factory run of wires.
PowerStep Wiring-11.jpg
The wires in the wire loom running up between the two bolts is the wire from the crossmember from the passenger side.
PowerStep Wiring-12.jpg
This is where I chose to combine the four wires together and have a single lead going to my connection point.
PowerStep Wiring-14.jpg
PowerStep Wiring-15.jpg
I really couldn't find a better crossing point on the driver's side, but this is the path I took.
PowerStep Wiring-16.jpg
PowerStep Wiring-17.jpg
This is the separation of the cab and the bed. Looking up on the picture above is where the fuel fill is. I used a mounting bracket to secure my line as I went up to go over the wheel well liner. This was the route RamVader took.
PowerStep Wiring-18.jpg
This shows that bracket. I used the same clothes hanger used to fish through the crossmember to help fish it over the wheel well. I put a slight U-bend in it to accommodate the curve of the wheel well.
PowerStep Wiring-19.jpg
This is the back side of the wheel well and I used a wire tie to at least hold it in this position.
PowerStep Wiring-20.jpg
This is my finish point. (Pictures previously posted above) The Blue wire is my trigger wire coming from the bed light and the White wire is my ground that I tapped into my Curt connector that I already had for my Luyed reverse lights. Now, hindsight is usually always 20/20. If I were to do it over again then I would start on the driver's side and follow the same cross member to get to the passenger side. There is a much better path to take on the passenger side. Either way this one is done and I think it is one of my favorite mods. Thanks RamVader!!

Users who are viewing this thread