5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LT285/65/R20 on 2018 Laramie Limited?

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

Brand new member, but I've been driving a 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab with the 5.9 since 2002. She has 340K on the clock and the truck is falling apart around that Cummins engine.

I just upgraded to a 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie Limited with just now 40K on the clock, it's a very nice truck, I've been calling it the "Cowboy Cadillac". It's honestly too nice and hoping all the gizmos and gadgets don't break too soon! She's a pretty truck, but coming from my bone-stock diesel that has a growl and character, my new truck just doesn't have any personality...yet. I hoping to fix that with some light mods.

I've read a ton of posts, on this site and others, and I can't seem to find the definitive answer. I know I can't easily add a lift kit because of the air ride suspension, but I'm due for new tires anyway and I'm thinking of going with LT285/65/R20. Just a simple yes or no question, will these fit on my truck without making any additional mods? Or do I have to go with something smaller....

Thank you in advance!
BDL
Ramrod Key, FL

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
My 19 Laramie (new model) had a 2" front spacer and 1" rear spacer with Tuff Country control arms. I also ran 1" Bora wheel spacers all the way around. I went with LT285/65r20 BFG KO2's and they were fine. I had plenty of room. Not sure how it relates to air suspension, but without the level kit and wheel spacers I would have went a size or two smaller. Look into the leveling links, my dad runs them on his air ride 2017 Rebel and they have been great. He has 285/70r17's though, a little smaller than you are wanting to run.

Reaction score
Thank you, JerryBsizzle...I appreciate the insight.

I've read several threads and searched through multiple websites and the answer to my question seems to be....maybe.

Literally, not a single person can verify "yes, they will fit, no mods, no rubbing" or "no, they will not fit unless you make some aftermarket mods".

What I THINK, from all my reading, is the 285/65/R20s will fit as long as I add the Revel Links (or similar) in the front to add a minor lift and perhaps on the rear as well, but certainly to level the truck.

So that's where I'm at right now, still with no definitive answer.

Reaction score
Near as I can tell, there are not too many people that are running the 285/65 on 20s. I've read plenty of threads and it seem either people are running the 275/65s or the 285/60s. I'm leaning towards the Michelin Defender LTX, they were awesome on my Gen 2 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD.

I didn't think this question would be met with crickets, or maybe I just don't have enough posts yet to be taken seriously???

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Near as I can tell, there are not too many people that are running the 285/65 on 20s. I've read plenty of threads and it seem either people are running the 275/65s or the 285/60s. I'm leaning towards the Michelin Defender LTX, they were awesome on my Gen 2 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD.

I didn't think this question would be met with crickets, or maybe I just don't have enough posts yet to be taken seriously???

So are you worried about clearance height wise? How much more height does a 65 have vs a 60 with a 285 tread width?

Otherwise for more answers, I would probably post this question in the 4th gen area of the site as you posted this in the 5th generation area. If you can't find answers on here, there are other ram forums you can find that are more active regarding specific 4th gen questions.

Scarriere

Reaction score
I had 285/55/R20 Toyo's on my 2018 and they were perfect, if this helps.
11.7 inches wide and no rubbing at all.

Reaction score
So are you worried about clearance height wise? How much more height does a 65 have vs a 60 with a 285 tread width?

Otherwise for more answers, I would probably post this question in the 4th gen area of the site as you posted this in the 5th generation area. If you can't find answers on here, there are other ram forums you can find that are more active regarding specific 4th gen questions.

I think I'll be fine on height, I was more concerned about any rubbing at full lock. Honestly, there's probably minimal difference between the 285/65 and the 285/60.

I've read a bunch of threads in the 5th gen Wheels and Tires section and many of the threads are outside of just the 5th gen trucks so I thought I'd have more luck on a specific tire question in this section than trying to mouse out the answer in the 4th gen General threads.

I've actually had a lot more luck getting responses on a Boating Forum that I frequent and have been a member there since 2009. It seems that members are a lot more likely to engage you if you've been a member for over 10 years and have over 3000 posts.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I'll be fine on height, I was more concerned about any rubbing at full lock. Honestly, there's probably minimal difference between the 285/65 and the 285/60.

I've read a bunch of threads in the 5th gen Wheels and Tires section and many of the threads are outside of just the 5th gen trucks so I thought I'd have more luck on a specific tire question in this section than trying to mouse out the answer in the 4th gen General threads.

I've actually had a lot more luck getting responses on a Boating Forum that I frequent and have been a member there since 2009. It seems that members are a lot more likely to engage you if you've been a member for over 10 years and have over 3000 posts.
Yeah not the biggest difference between these sizes but certainly is some difference:
compare tire size.png

In terms of the amount of time you've been a member and getting responses, I really don't think that's it. I've gotten help from the time I've gotten here if I inquired about anything. I think it's more that this site is really 5th gen oriented and other than some random activity in some of the threads here, there isn't a big 4th gen presence. I'll send you a private message with a suggestion where you may be able to find some more answers.

Users who are viewing this thread