5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low profile calipers

Braeden7498

Reaction score
I've got a 2020 1500 bighorn stock with 18 inch wheels. I have a set of 17 inch wheels I want to put on but they don't clear the calipers and I need to do brakes all-around anyways. Does anyone know of any low profile caliper that would help me out in this situation?

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
I've got a 2020 1500 bighorn stock with 18 inch wheels. I have a set of 17 inch wheels I want to put on but they don't clear the calipers and I need to do brakes all-around anyways. Does anyone know of any low profile caliper that would help me out in this situation?
Spacers

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
They would have to be huge spacers and I don't want to go that route at all. Thanks for the thought though!
If it's that bad I'd be looking for new wheels or sticking to the 18s...idk why you would swap to less efficient brakes to put smaller wheels on lol

Braeden7498

Reaction score
If it's that bad I'd be looking for new wheels or sticking to the 18s...idk why you would swap to less efficient brakes to put smaller wheels on lol

Most the lower profile calipers I've seen for other vehicles are performance brakes so I'm assuming if they exist it's the same for ram trucks. And it wasn't so much about small wheels, just wanted meatier tires like a truck should have as opposed to those ugly huge rims with basically no tire.

Goldsy

Reaction score
You think the 18s have no meat, my 22s look like they should be on a Corvette. I love the style of the stock 22s, but still don't think they look right on a truck. I may go to 20s next year, still undecided. Not even all 18s will fit with the massive calipers on the new body style.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s not happening. It kind of sounds like you already have the 17’s and want to figure out a way to use use them. On top of that, I’m really not comprehending how you would think calipers would be cheaper than larger diameter tires for the 18’s.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You think the 18s have no meat, my 22s look like they should be on a Corvette. I love the style of the stock 22s, but still don't think they look right on a truck. I may go to 20s next year, still undecided. Not even all 18s will fit with the massive calipers on the new body style.
The 20’s with 275/55/r20 tires ride incredibly smooth. I love the 22’s, but the 20in setup I have is silky smooth.

Goldsy

Reaction score
The 20’s with 275/55/r20 tires ride incredibly smooth. I love the 22’s, but the 20in setup I have is silky smooth.
Yeah, I'm either going to go with 20s or keep the stock 22s and put 33s on which will give me roughly the same sidewall as the 20s.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
My longhorn has the 22s and rides way too damn nice for a truck tbh lol... Rides way smoother than my 4th Gen did with 20s..

Goldsy

Reaction score
My longhorn has the 22s and rides way too damn nice for a truck tbh lol... Rides way smoother than my 4th Gen did with 20s..

My Limited rides nice on the 22s as well. There just such a better selection of AT tires available with 20s.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Yeah, it’s incredible. My Ltd with 22”s rode silky smooth also. Pretty amazing.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Are you on air ride or coils?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s incredible. My Ltd with 22”s rode silky smooth also. Pretty amazing.
What did you get after selling your ram?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
GLE 53 AMG Coupe. Downsized a tad since we just sent our kids off to college and no longer need the extra room.
Congrats! I’ve always loved AMG. Way back in 2008, we put a used engine and trans from a sl65 amg (6.0 v12) into a ‘78 240z. It was a nightmare build, but fun at the same time.

Braeden7498

Reaction score
It’s not happening. It kind of sounds like you already have the 17’s and want to figure out a way to use use them. On top of that, I’m really not comprehending how you would think calipers would be cheaper than larger diameter tires for the 18’s.
Wasn't so much about the money as it was about the convenience of not having to try to sell that setup for what I have into it and buy a new setup and all the wait time while also needing to do my brakes and wanting new calipers anyways. But if you're saying it won't happen I believe you haha I was just hoping it was a possibility! Thank you sir

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn't so much about the money as it was about the convenience of not having to try to sell that setup for what I have into it and buy a new setup and all the wait time while also needing to do my brakes and wanting new calipers anyways. But if you're saying it won't happen I believe you haha I was just hoping it was a possibility! Thank you sir
I wouldn’t be surprised if some options come out in the future. Not saying they are going to specifically focus on lower profile calipers, but usually aftermarket brake calipers in full brake kits don’t match the same dimensions exactly as O.E.M. (i.e., wildwood, brembo, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread