5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low Payload

NDanecker

Reaction score
I said I would never consider one and decided to build my own version of the TR (less X) and so far its been an interesting ride. However, after seeing video of the truck, and pics it is growing on me.

Today I caught a video that shows the payload sticker inside the door jam and I believe it was 966 lbs, That is incredibly low. I know its not meant to tow but they do advertise that it can tow 7 or 8k lbs, Not sure how that is possible if you want to respect the cargo capacity and use it as a family weekend vehicle.

Not bitching. I get the market for this truck is different and not a tow vehicle, but as it won't allow me to tow what I need it is pretty much a no. Sad.......

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I said I would never consider one and decided to build my own version of the TR (less X) and so far its been an interesting ride. However, after seeing video of the truck, and pics it is growing on me.

Today I caught a video that shows the payload sticker inside the door jam and I believe it was 966 lbs, That is incredibly low. I know its not meant to tow but they do advertise that it can tow 7 or 8k lbs, Not sure how that is possible if you want to respect the cargo capacity and use it as a family weekend vehicle.

Not bitching. I get the market for this truck is different and not a tow vehicle, but as it won't allow me to tow what I need it is pretty much a no. Sad.......
This should have you covered...

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
I had a 4th Gen Eco Longhorn and payload was similar. Max payload and tow #s decrease as you add options and the TRX has the most options of any Ram 1500.

AAmes

Reaction score
The specs show the suspension creates the tow weight limitation. Sacrifice towing capacity for performance suspension seems to be a reasonable trade off. However, no one should be purchasing the TRX for towing. Other than It being used for the occasional boat to the water and moving the kid to college or to their first apartment on a utility trailer.

NDanecker

Reaction score
The specs show the suspension creates the tow weight limitation. Sacrifice towing capacity for performance suspension seems to be a reasonable trade off. However, no one should be purchasing the TRX for towing. Other than It being used for the occasional boat to the water and moving the kid to college or to their first apartment on a utility trailer.
Agreed. The TRX is not designed to tow heavy, but marketing that it can tow 8100lbs is somewhat misleading. I don't understand what options can lower your payload from 1400 (advertised) to 993 actual as indicated in the TFL video. That ram bar and 2nd spare tire must be pretty heavy. LOL

One thing I learned after buying the Trackhawk was that after the dust settles, the new car smell wears away, and you're done taking your fiends for launch rides you need to live with the vehicle daily. It wasn't a truck so I sold it. Most aren't buying this truck as a 2nd vehicle. It will be their main vehicle, and it will need to do truck things, or you would have bought a Charger/Challenger Hellcat that is way faster and offers greater smiles......all while saving a few bucks and not having to wait 6+ months. I was lucky enough to find a dealer that had 26 Trackhawks and heavily discounted after everyone got theirs. Heard stories of people paying $10 or 20k ADM. THAT IS NUTS. Just because you have it to spend doesn't mean its a good idea. Once you drive it off the lot that ADM is gone, and its a used vehicle. Pay to play I guess. Hope every one who paid full MSRP or above enjoys it because 6 - 12 months from now these things will be heavily discounted, and the used market will be flooded with all the people who realize this truck isn't as fast as its cracked up to be, can't tow what I need it and now my wife hates me because I dipped into the kids college fund to pay for it. LOL

Ramtrx

Reaction score
That one video dude weighed the tire and wheel at just over 100 lbs a piece. That 450lbs about just for tires.

Users who are viewing this thread