5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low Oil Pressure

edgarrian

Reaction score
Well today was a bit worrisome. I was driving home from work and noticed my oil pressure was reading low. Then the check engine light came on. I pulled over and checked it out real quick. Everything was fine. Checked oil and it looked good. I stopped at the local auto zone before going home to get the codes read. Which I assumed was related to my oil pressure. P 1524 was the code. Oddly the store's computer did not have any info on the code. So that was worthless. I came home keeping a good eye on everything. I always keep oil and filter on hand so i have them for changes. I went ahead and drained the oil. Looked good. Changed the filter and took it apart. Nothing unusual. Slapped a new filter on and problem solved. Pretty strange I thought. Had me a bit worried. Anyway thought Id post. My truck is a 2019 rebel.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Run a magnet through the filter?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Well today was a bit worrisome. I was driving home from work and noticed my oil pressure was reading low. Then the check engine light came on. I pulled over and checked it out real quick. Everything was fine. Checked oil and it looked good. I stopped at the local auto zone before going home to get the codes read. Which I assumed was related to my oil pressure. P 1524 was the code. Oddly the store's computer did not have any info on the code. So that was worthless. I came home keeping a good eye on everything. I always keep oil and filter on hand so i have them for changes. I went ahead and drained the oil. Looked good. Changed the filter and took it apart. Nothing unusual. Slapped a new filter on and problem solved. Pretty strange I thought. Had me a bit worried. Anyway thought Id post. My truck is a 2019 rebel.

When you say low, what reading was it and in what driving situation were you in when you saw that reading?

edgarrian

Reaction score
Run a magnet through the filter?
I didnt but I did cut the top off and took the filter element out and looked at the bottom. I felt through the element and didnt feel or see anything concerning

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It was 38 on the highway, and 29 idling

Gotcha. 38 highway is low on the move, but 29 idling is about normal when up to temp.

Could be an oil filter issue, maybe with a faulty valve. Not sure if you saw this video about that code? Watch the video and check out the comments, a lot of them seem to be similar to what you experienced.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a smart phone, google would have easily told you that P1524 is for low oil pressure for MDS system. Meaning, not low to damage engine, but too low to activate MDS.

Also, more than likely it was the filter that was the issue. What filters do you use?

edgarrian

Reaction score
If you have a smart phone, google would have easily told you that P1524 is for low oil pressure for MDS system. Meaning, not low to damage engine, but too low to activate MDS.

Also, more than likely it was the filter that was the issue. What filters do you use?
I did google it and found some info as I was draining oil. typically fram but this was a STP filter I took off and cut it open. I had seen where others said the filter caused there issue as well. So im not to concerned. Im reading normal now after changing.

edgarrian

Reaction score
Gotcha. 38 highway is low on the move, but 29 idling is about normal when up to temp.

Could be an oil filter issue, maybe with a faulty valve. Not sure if you saw this video about that code? Watch the video and check out the comments, a lot of them seem to be similar to what you experienced.

I didnt have any weird shaking going on like this guy did. Im pretty certain it was the filter. Once all was changed the truck was back to normal

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did google it and found some info as I was draining oil. typically fram but this was a STP filter I took off and cut it open. I had seen where others said the filter caused there issue as well. So im not to concerned. Im reading normal now after changing.
I'd highly recommend switching to Mopar filters, or Mobil1.

edgarrian

Reaction score
I'd highly recommend switching to Mopar filters, or Mobil1.
Ive used fram for years and haven't had any issues. I just won't use STP anymore. There was a gentlemen that experienced the same issue as I did and his filter was a WIX

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ive used fram for years and haven't had any issues. I just won't use STP anymore. There was a gentlemen that experienced the same issue as I did and his filter was a WIX
I mean it's your truck, but don't see the reason to try and save a few bucks on such a vital component to engine operation. Unless you re buying the Fram extra guard or ultra synthetic, it's well documented to be a lesser quality filter.

edgarrian

Reaction score
I mean it's your truck, but don't see the reason to try and save a few bucks on such a vital component to engine operation. Unless you re buying the Fram extra guard or ultra synthetic, it's well documented to be a lesser quality filter.
Right on I will look into the better quality ones. To be honest I had not really heard of anyone having issues with filters until my own experience. Ive been a part of a mustang forum since 2007. I dont think i can recall anyone questioning filters. Ill switch based off this conversation. Like you said what's a few extra bucks. Thanks

Halfpint81

Reaction score
Hi all I just bought a 2024 Ram 1500 and at 348 km I had my check engine light go on saying power train issues, then again at 711 the dealership emailed some tech line and now it’s sounding like they are going to be replacing parts and hope it fixes it, oh goody lol. The check engine light is camshaft lifter issues but no hemi tick so they aren’t to sure what it is. They suggest to change the camshaft phaser and oil pump bring it in on Monday. Has anyone else run into this issue by chance? Thank you

Fatherof3

Reaction score
If they’re going to change the oil pump I would ask if they’d put in the TRX oil pump and pay the difference in price .

Users who are viewing this thread