5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low oil pressure

apack21

Reaction score
Hello. New here.

I am having miserable issues with my 2016 Ram 1500. I have replaced oil housing system and oil pump and about a year later, I found oil under the truck and a “low oil pressure” message popped up accompanied by the dreadful check engine light. I have no clue what to do. Anyone else experience this issue? Recommendations?

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello. New here.

I am having miserable issues with my 2016 Ram 1500. I have replaced oil housing system and oil pump and about a year later, I found oil under the truck and a “low oil pressure” message popped up accompanied by the dreadful check engine light. I have no clue what to do. Anyone else experience this issue? Recommendations?
What oil pressure were you seeing? Mine has never been over 31 psi.

apack21

Reaction score
What oil pressure were you seeing? Mine has never been over 31 psi.
Well when I was going up a hill the psi dropped to 17 which triggered the “low oil pressure” message popping up and then disappearing. Once that message disappeared a solid check engine light came on and hasn’t gone off.

apack21

Reaction score
It could be as simple as a bad oil pressure sending unit. Take it to a garage and let them put it up on the lift and see where it's coming from.
Okay I’ll do that! I just don’t understand why this keeps happening if I’m replacing every dang thing as soon as I see an issue.

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello. New here.

Have you checked your oil level? If your drain pan or the filter housing is leaking causing low oil levels you can create a low pressure situation.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay I’ll do that! I just don’t understand why this keeps happening if I’m replacing every dang thing as soon as I see an issue.
That sounds a bit like a victim complex. These are complex machines and things wear out and break. If you "keeps driving" it, stuff will "keeps happening". We are all in that boat. FWIW it sounds likely to be a different problem from whatever made you want to replace the oil pump.

U

User_3336

31-32 psi appears normal. Its this at startup and the same as the engine warms up.

Users who are viewing this thread