5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low oil pressure

mdirads

Reaction score
I changed the oil and oil filter yesterday, first change at 2300 miles. I filled with 8.5 quarts and replaced the OEM drain plug with the ValvoMax oil drain valve. Ran the engine for a few minutes after completion, and checked the dipstick. The level was in the middle of the cross-hatch section.

I drove today and after approximately 8 miles, low oil pressure light came on. I returned home, and checked for leaks. No leaks found. Checked the dipstick, and level was in the middle of the cross-hatch section. I’ve changed oil in many vehicles over my 35 years of vehicle ownership, and never had this issue. Pics attached

Any suggestions? Add more oil?

Attachments

• IMG_1519.jpeg
    IMG_1519.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1518.jpeg
    IMG_1518.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1517.jpeg
    IMG_1517.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1516.jpeg
    IMG_1516.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1515.jpeg
    IMG_1515.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1514.jpeg
    IMG_1514.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 62

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The usual "fix" is to remove the oil filter, check the gaskets and reinstall it and make sure it's tightened well.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What is the actual oil pressure. I thought it was one of the sensors you could monitor on the EVIC display under vehicle info.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is the actual oil pressure. I thought it was one of the sensors you could monitor on the EVIC display under vehicle info.
Its a fake calculated reading. The sensor only detects oil pressure below 8/10 psi and triggers the idiot light, which is the red light in the upper right. Not the low oil pressure message in the EVIC.

ok, this reading is a fake reading. It's computed from random garbage.
1669517563683.png

This is the "real" one and trips when the sensor reads below 8/10 psi
The red oil light to the right below 75F temperature.

note it shows "19 psi" its a lie.
1669517643976.png

Reactions: c3k

mdirads

Reaction score
So what is the cause of the low oil pressure? I removed the filter housing and re-installed it. Let it run a few minutes and there was no indicator light. That was around 2 pm or so.
I returned to this thread tonight at 7:30 pm to find subsequent posts. I started the engine and went into the gauge cluster summary and took pics of the readings over a few minutes. As the oil temperature increased the pressure decreased, which seems to make sense as the viscosity becomes thinner at higher temperatures. I’m posting pics for reference. I did not idle the engine long enough to reach oil temperatures above 200 degrees, so I’ll have to investigate further.

But my question is again, what is the cause of the low pressure?

Attachments

• IMG_1523.jpeg
    IMG_1523.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1522.jpeg
    IMG_1522.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1521.jpeg
    IMG_1521.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1520.jpeg
    IMG_1520.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 40

mdirads

Reaction score
BTW, I filled with Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40.
Oil filter was purchased from dieselfiltersonline and part number was 68507598AA

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you have the filter out, you'll see there's a little plastic triangular nub. You can pull it out to look. Don't lose it. Now put it back exactly as you found it.

That's the problem. It's a anti drainback valve. If the oil filter isn't tightened *just right* to compress the spring and flatten and bottom out on the housing it lets that stupid thing not seat and it works as a bypass and of course due to terrible design bypasses *all the important things* and doesn't send oil through the engine and just dumps it back into the oil pan. Obviously ( unless you leave it out completely ) most of the oil is not being bypassed, but it's enough to trip the idiot switch sensor thats mounted right there, you can see it below the oil filter housing.

Of course FCA didn't put a real oil pressure sensor on these trucks, and also put the one crap sensor they have in the "wrong place" so it can't detect a real problem.

mdirads

Reaction score
I appreciate the insight Aseras has provided.
I had some errands to do this morning and so was able to get the operating temperatures up. Oil temp was 208 degrees and the pressure reading was 20 psi (pic attached). Also included in the pic is the oil pressure scale (lower left corner), and the red indicator is at the halfway point in the scale. So my questions are the following:
1. Does my issue seem to be resolved?
2. Does the oil pressure scale in the lower left corner hold any meaningful information?
3. Is my oil pressure reading of 20 psi accurate?

Or, as Aseras has mentioned, since FCA did not install a real pressure sensor, can we conclude that items 2 and 3 above are irrelevant, and we should rely only on the idiot light to warn us of a problem?

Attachments

• IMG_1526.jpeg
    IMG_1526.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 31

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate the insight Aseras has provided.
I had some errands to do this morning and so was able to get the operating temperatures up. Oil temp was 208 degrees and the pressure reading was 20 psi (pic attached). Also included in the pic is the oil pressure scale (lower left corner), and the red indicator is at the halfway point in the scale. So my questions are the following:
1. Does my issue seem to be resolved?
2. Does the oil pressure scale in the lower left corner hold any meaningful information?
3. Is my oil pressure reading of 20 psi accurate?

Or, as Aseras has mentioned, since FCA did not install a real pressure sensor, can we conclude that items 2 and 3 above are irrelevant, and we should rely only on the idiot light to warn us of a problem?
The "high/low" guage on lower left is basically an on/off switch and provides no meaningful information. The digital readout in center would be more accurate, but even that is a calculated value.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck reports similar oil pressures when it is up to temp and at idle.

When the temp is well below freezing and the truck is at high idle warming up it’s common for it to report pressures approaching 100psi, which I think is a bit much so I always wait for oil and coolant temps to come up before driving off slowly.

Reactions: c3k

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Of course FCA didn't put a real oil pressure sensor on these trucks, and also put the one crap sensor they have in the "wrong place" so it can't detect a real problem.
What are you basing this information on? Because I have heard from someone else in the 3rd gen EcoD group that the 3rd gen engines DO have a real sensor, but the prior gen didn't. Would like to know which is accurate, but so far nobody has proven anything.

Psylence340

Reaction score
This happened to me this morning!! Changed the oil yesterday before a big family trip coming up this weekend, running errands today and poof low oil pressure. Panicked the hell outta me! I did double check drain tightness and reseated the filter before I found this thread, I hope I’m good.

Coincidentally I also used the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40

Last edited:

mdirads

Reaction score
This happened to me this morning!! Changed the oil yesterday before a big family trip coming up this weekend, running errands today and poof low oil pressure. Panicked the hell outta me! I did double check drain tightness and reseated the filter before I found this thread, I hope I’m good.

Coincidentally I also used the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40
Ha! What a co-incidence. Seating the filter housing seems to be the issue. I removed the housing and re-seated it, and the problem disappeared. It's a good idea to do this maintenance work a week or so before traveling to work out any bugs that develop. I did mine before Christmas to avoid any surprises.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I changed the oil and oil filter yesterday, first change at 2300 miles. I filled with 8.5 quarts and replaced the OEM drain plug with the ValvoMax oil drain valve. Ran the engine for a few minutes after completion, and checked the dipstick. The level was in the middle of the cross-hatch section.

I drove today and after approximately 8 miles, low oil pressure light came on. I returned home, and checked for leaks. No leaks found. Checked the dipstick, and level was in the middle of the cross-hatch section. I’ve changed oil in many vehicles over my 35 years of vehicle ownership, and never had this issue. Pics attached

Any suggestions? Add more oil?
Looking at the pics you posted your oil filter doesnt look seated enough. That plastic lip should be flush against the block.

There's a torque spec on the filter but I go until it snugs up, I don't follow the torque spec and have never had an issue. The filter goes in tight.

20psi is normal for the ED once she's warm at idle

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

mdirads

Reaction score
Looking at the pics you posted your oil filter doesnt look seated enough. That plastic lip should be flush against the block.

There's a torque spec on the filter but I go until it snugs up, I don't follow the torque spec and have never had an issue. The filter goes in tight.

20psi is normal for the ED once she's warm at idle

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
You are correct. I removed the filter housing and re-installed it and the problem was solved. I appreciate your reply.

brandomc

Reaction score
This morning about 50 miles from home, I got the low oil pressure warning. Similar to other people's stories, it seems to occur after an oil change. I changed my oil (Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40) 5 days ago and drove the first four days with no issues. I only had low-pressure issues when idling/starting up with a warm engine. Once up to speed, the pressure was within the 27-30 range, so I knew I was safe to get home.

After reading this forum thread, I removed the OEM oil filter, re-oiled the two o-rings, and even oiled the plastic threads. Oiling the plastic threads made the biggest difference when screwing in the oil filter. It easily hand screwed in and ratcheting until the filter was seated was super easy.

I cranked up the engine, and the oil pressure immediately went into the low 20's. No warning messages!!!

Thank you forum for the great info.

Users who are viewing this thread