5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing Driver’s side sound - 12” Uconnect issues

Ridge

Reaction score
I’m 14 days in with my 2020 Ram 1500 Limited and completely regretting it over Uconnect issues. On the drive home from the dealer the screen went blank and wouldn’t come on until I put the truck in park. That happened 3 times in the first two days so back to the dealer. A quick update solved that one, but now I get intermittent loss of some of the drivers side speakers. Source doesn’t matter, it happens with FM, Sirius, and CarPlay. I can’t tell if the stereo output is dropping or if it’s a single speaker, but the difference in sound is significant when it happens. Dealer can’t figure it out. Anyone have a solution? Suggestions?

Reverse

Reaction score
that happens on mine when my phone is connected and an email or text comes in. Phone notice of incoming message temporarily cuts out driver's side speaker, but it then returns within a few seconds.

Ridge

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Wouldn’t that just happen when phone is the audio source? And all speakers affected? This occurs in all audio sources and only the drivers side is affected.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Wouldn’t that just happen when phone is the audio source? And all speakers affected? This occurs in all audio sources and only the drivers side is affected.
No matter the source, it happens whenever the automated vehicle voice wants to inform you of something. This is so the driver can clearly hear the voice instructions and not completely interrupt the music, etc

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had this issue on 18.45 firmware but seemed to go away on 20.04.19 update.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ridge

Reaction score
I didn’t have the problem until I got an update to fix the screen going blank while driving. Don’t know what the previous version was but it is now 20.04.19.

Reaction score
@HeliPilot Solved! Turned the volume during the drop out and all of a sudden the audio drop out became a BAC voice. Much appreciated!
Did you do anything to fix this? I hooked up a sub yesterday, tapped into rear speakers, now when I turn the volume above 19 or so the front passenger side cuts out. But I’ve got the 5” system so my truck shouldn’t be trying to tel me **** lol. Worth a shot to ask.

Ridge

Reaction score
Did you do anything to fix this? I hooked up a sub yesterday, tapped into rear speakers, now when I turn the volume above 19 or so the front passenger side cuts out. But I’ve got the 5” system so my truck shouldn’t be trying to tel me **** lol. Worth a shot to ask.
It doesn’t sound like the same issue. Mine was a CarPlay issue. I only had audio dropping when my phone was connected. Any time my phone had an alert sound (Ring, Text Message, Navigation instruction) the audio on the driver’s side would drop out. Turning the volume knob while the audio was dropped turned up the alert volume so I can now hear the alert or directions.

Reaction score
It doesn’t sound like the same issue. Mine was a CarPlay issue. I only had audio dropping when my phone was connected. Any time my phone had an alert sound (Ring, Text Message, Navigation instruction) the audio on the driver’s side would drop out. Turning the volume knob while the audio was dropped turned up the alert volume so I can now hear the alert or directions.
Thanks for responding.

mtvrwe2003

Reaction score
Next time the speaker cuts out, quickly turn your volume knob up, I bet your guidance volume is set to zero, so when the truck is telling you something, it sounds like a speaker cutting out.

Thanks for the input HeliPilot your advice fixed my issue I don’t know why the update turned the volumes down but it’s fixed now.. turn it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram2020BigHorn

Reaction score
I’m 14 days in with my 2020 Ram 1500 Limited and completely regretting it over Uconnect issues. On the drive home from the dealer the screen went blank and wouldn’t come on until I put the truck in park. That happened 3 times in the first two days so back to the dealer. A quick update solved that one, but now I get intermittent loss of some of the drivers side speakers. Source doesn’t matter, it happens with FM, Sirius, and CarPlay. I can’t tell if the stereo output is dropping or if it’s a single speaker, but the difference in sound is significant when it happens. Dealer can’t figure it out. Anyone have a solution? Suggestions?
This also is happening to my 2020 Ram truck. After receiving a phone call the driver's speaker goes out. Took it to the dealer but they said they can't do anything until Dodge issues a service bulletin. I think that is BS, they just don't want to spend the time to research.

LV426

Reaction score
I think this a feature that some smart devices may refer to as "Ducking" where the volume drops temporarily and is supposed to come back. I've had on and off issues with this (volume gets stuck on very low) a quick fix for me was to push the power off then back on and that seems to clear it in my case. I've had a few other times where I just had to unplug the phone completely.

kmr1200

Reaction score
@HeliPilot This has been the only frustrating issue with my '21...it has bugged me since I picked up the truck in March, and I haven't seen a thread about it.

Just drove home tonight and several times the volume on the driver side went out....I could only hear music or podcast volume from the right side. While driving, I even adjusted the speaker balance to 100% left, and that resulted in no sound at all. I had my iPhone connected and was listening to a podcast/music, and I had Apple navigation on. I will try the above suggestion. One question - when you suggest turning the volume up when the sound on the driver side goes out, do you mean the Ram volume, or the iPhone volume?

Thanks!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We're sorry to learn about the concerns you may have been experiencing recently. If you're currently working with your dealer or would like assistance on getting this properly addressed, please follow up privately with your VIN and additional details.

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I had a similar issue in my ‘21. Turned out to be a loose connection the the amp under the drivers seat. Wasn’t fully clicked with the retainer on the connector. A little push and a restart and problem has not been back for almost 3 weeks.

Splat10

Reaction score
Just to add another thing that could help. I've had the left side drop out upon connecting the phone and won't come back until unplugging it and replugging. I've found that instead of having to do that, just a quick press of the voice activation button and then another to shut it off will bring my audio back. Much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/