5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LOOKING FOR

Jimr8162

Reaction score
Looking for some better advice regarding towing with my 2019 1500 rebel 5.7 Hemi. I don't have the air suspension on this truck but am thinking about installing the timbren DR1500DG SES. My trailer weighs 6800#, hitch weight of 700# and I am having a WD hitch installed. I plan to tow it dry and lightly loaded.
Does anyone have any experience with these or do I even need them? Not worried about towing capacity only the amount of sagging more than anything. Any input greatly appreciated.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The WDH will offset weight from the rear of the vehicle to the front and will help level it. It may not make much sense, it didn't to me when I was new to towing a travel trailer but when you see it hooked up you'll understand it.

Jimr8162

Reaction score
The WDH will offset weight from the rear of the vehicle to the front and will help level it. It may not make much sense, it didn't to me when I was new to towing a travel trailer but when you see it hooked up you'll understand it.
I might wait and see how it does after hooking up the trailer and yeah, the WDH didn't make sense to me either but I saw it in action and so im having one installed. Thanks for the reply!

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Looking for some better advice regarding towing with my 2019 1500 rebel 5.7 Hemi. I don't have the air suspension on this truck but am thinking about installing the timbren DR1500DG SES. My trailer weighs 6800#, hitch weight of 700# and I am having a WD hitch installed. I plan to tow it dry and lightly loaded.
Does anyone have any experience with these or do I even need them? Not worried about towing capacity only the amount of sagging more than anything. Any input greatly appreciated.

Wait and see.
I had Timbrens on my previous truck (2004 Ram 1500). Loaded up they were fantastic - no squat and increased stability. Unloaded however they were not. Typically the rubber will be about 1-1.5" shy of the axle support, so hit any bumps and BAM, axle bumps against timbrens and results in a little bit of a jarring ride. IMO if i constantly had weight on the truck or towed heavy frequently, then yes. But your scenario with only 700 lbs you shouldn't squat too much and with WDH you'll likely be fine.

Now that i have a 4th gen with softer riding rear coils i'd much rather deal with some sag from time to time than negatively impact my unloaded ride quality. 5th gens have progressive rate coils stock, so you'll still sag but then higher spring rate should begin to help.

I've looked into Tuftruck springs but i really haven't had squat issues even loaded way up with a 14LX dump trailer. May get stiffer springs if i ever go with a mild Bilstein level, though, but i will not go back to Timbrens with these rear coil springs.

Jimr8162

Reaction score
Wait and see.
I had Timbrens on my previous truck (2004 Ram 1500). Loaded up they were fantastic - no squat and increased stability. Unloaded however they were not. Typically the rubber will be about 1-1.5" shy of the axle support, so hit any bumps and BAM, axle bumps against timbrens and results in a little bit of a jarring ride. IMO if i constantly had weight on the truck or towed heavy frequently, then yes. But your scenario with only 700 lbs you shouldn't squat too much and with WDH you'll likely be fine.

Now that i have a 4th gen with softer riding rear coils i'd much rather deal with some sag from time to time than negatively impact my unloaded ride quality. 5th gens have progressive rate coils stock, so you'll still sag but then higher spring rate should begin to help.

I've looked into Tuftruck springs but i really haven't had squat issues even loaded way up with a 14LX dump trailer. May get stiffer springs if i ever go with a mild Bilstein level, though, but i will not go back to Timbrens with these rear coil springs.
After some research I am coming up with the same conclusion. Called my go-to Les Schwab tire store and they said exactly the same thing. Even when I told them I was willing to purchase either the timbren or some type of air suspension, he said he'd wait and see. Seems to be the consensus for the moment. Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread