5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Longevity on rough dirt roads

RegularRam

Reaction score
Hi all.
I am new here and have read many of the posts on the 1500 trucks but have been unable to find much about persons using them for long periods ( For arguments sake, most of the vehicles life) on rough ranch dirt roads. In particular how does the standard suspension as well the electronics stand up to the continual vibration such roads dish out.
I am in the process of ordering a MY 2021 Laramie 1500 as a work truck and wonder if there are any cattle ranchers (Or anyone) that have had the Ram 1500 where they have used them in, I guess, in extreme conditions.
I am an Australian Cattle man, our roads are only graded once a year if we are lucky. I want to buy American made as much as possible from now on rather than Japenese, which has been the norm here for these conditions.
Thoroughly enjoy reading your posts.
Best Regards
Tom

saylor

Reaction score
ram.jpg

you will love it if you get one that doesnt squeak.

do you get a USA model or a aussie model or canada or what?

jkm312

Reaction score
ANY machine will break. What determines the longevity is how they are set up for expected conditions on day one. My thoughts would be heavier truck tires and stiffer shocks. Stronger sidewalls in the tires. The stiffer shocks to cushion the frame from hard jolts from the roads you travel. A 392 rear end to allow taller tires for ground clearance. That will require some recalibration of the speedo and shift points in the tranny. Secondly how soon do you make repairs when something is "not quite right."

I have a 19 Laramie, which is set up for light duty domestic use. It serves MY purposes very well. Glad I bought it. I'm not going to lie to you, it is the most comfortable truck I've ever owned. Only thing I'm going to change is put a set of AT tires on it next fall, tired of scratching around in the snow like I have the last couple of months here in the midwest.

On a side note, I used to drive tractor trailers years ago. The truck trains I've seen some TV shows highlight in Australia, fascinate me. To control that kind of mass and speed takes some skills and a set of nerves based on what I know.

Welcome to the forums, look forward to learning what you decided to do.

James1414d

Reaction score
I can tell you, the front and rear coil suspension on the Ran compared to my 2015 Silverado with leaf sprung rear suspension is night and day on washboard gravel roads.

saylor

Reaction score
It will be a RHD Laramie. 5.7 Hemi, however the full speck seems to be a bit of a mystery atm. Come late April they will release some info on what you get.
please do post the info when you get it id like to see what they offer to that region/market

Users who are viewing this thread