5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long time lurker.... new member

flyfingers

Reaction score
Been reading loads of these threads on this forum re; 5th gen simply to gain info before making the plunge to purchase. 50 something yrs old and never purchased a vehicle from a dealership as I've always bought off Craigslist. A new 1500 Ram costs a whole lot more than I'm used to so simply gathering info / insight from all of you who have already done so. Simply a Thank You to those who post credible / logical info as well as those who voice their opinions backed up with the "how and why". Appreciate it.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been reading loads of these threads on this forum re; 5th gen simply to gain info before making the plunge to purchase. 50 something yrs old and never purchased a vehicle from a dealership as I've always bought off Craigslist. A new 1500 Ram costs a whole lot more than I'm used to so simply gathering info / insight from all of you who have already done so. Simply a Thank You to those who post credible / logical info as well as those who voice their opinions backed up with the "how and why". Appreciate it.
I am in the mid 50s also but contrary to you I have since 1994 purchased 3 Rams, 3 Caravans, 3 Cherokees and 1 Caliber, all brand new. I did buy second hand vehicles when I was younger. For me the biggest advantage for buying new is the piece of mind of the warranty, I will only talk about my trucks. I never bought the extended warranty, and was always lucky. My first Dodge Ram was 1996 extended cab 360 Magnum engine, only two doors back then, it was very basic, air, cruise and two tone paint, it had paid $34000 at 5.9% financing for 5 years, there were no deals back then, sold that truck for $4000 and bought a 2011 Ram SLT outdoorsman, the list price was $45000 and had $14000 in rebate and I traded my 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT so the out the door price was $34000 I don’t remember the financing % but it was very low and paid for it in 3 years, what a difference in everything from the ride, the quietness the efficiency. I now went all out and bought my dream truck, a 2020 Ram Rebel with the eco diesel and many many options, what a difference in comfort, efficiency and luxury, the list price here in Canada was $81000. That’s crazy! I even had to add the tonneau cover, the running boards and the rust proofing to that amount. A dealer discount of $16000 was deducted from that price, and I got $11000 for my 2011 Ram for trade in. Final price of $68000 @ 0% financing for 84 months. There is no price difference even if you paid cash, so leave the deposit in the bank and make the monthly payments. I wanted a light duty diesel for years, the price for diesel here in northern Ontario is cheaper than gas, and this truck sips fuel compared to my 2011 ram with the 5.7 litre Hemi. This is my retirement truck, my wife and I have 15 more months to work! She loves her 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite 2L turbo. In my case I’ve had the same vehicle for many years and I had some that I traded in after only a few years, the 2019 is the third Cherokee since 2014, I traded them in after they were paid for and had 0% financing. One more advantage is that you usually can’t get 0% financing when you buy a used vehicle. With all that said, it all comes down to what you are willing to pay and what options you want to get.

Users who are viewing this thread