5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long-Term Update: 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Long-Term Update: 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport:
We Have Had Our Truck For Two Months Now, How Has It Been?

Ram-Laramie-Sport-10-of-65.jpg

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So after 2,750 miles, how is the gas mileage?

Last tank of mixed driving the average was 17.2mpg. It fluctuates around 16mpg and 18mpg. As I put more miles on the truck the mileage gets better and better.

I was doing 80+ on the highway the yesterday and it was getting 22mpg avg according to the TFT. I have noticed that in our truck the TFT is either dead on or off by .2 average on each fill up. So it's pretty accurate.

20190625_154250.jpg

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last tank of mixed driving the average was 17.2mpg. It fluctuates around 16mpg and 18mpg. As I put more miles on the truck the mileage gets better and better.

I was doing 80+ on the highway the yesterday and it was getting 22mpg avg according to the TFT. I have noticed that in our truck the TFT is either dead on or off by .2 average on each fill up. So it's pretty accurate.

View attachment 29257
I've quit reporting my gas mileage because some people won't believe me.

Anyway, compared to my two previous 4th gen Ram 1500s, the computer on this 5th gen seems a lot more accurate and consistent. Despite having a few odd ball discrepancies between the hand calculated fuel mileage and the EVIC readout, I have a lifetime deviation of 0.49% to the negative, meaning I'm getting slightly better gas mileage than the computer is telling me. Seems like you are having a similar experience?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 018202 miles.

Redhawk01

Reaction score
The best I've got was 19.7. Doing about 75-80 with cruise on. 4 hour road trip. I typically get 17.5 to 18.5. All highway miles. The worst so far around 15.7. 7300 miles on odo. Eco mode kicks in a lot more after i hit around 3k miles.

Zeeya

Reaction score
I made 5 weeks with truck Monday and 5100 miles. Rebel with 392 gears.
What rpms are you showing when running 75 mph? Just curious. 2100 rpms with the steeper gears at 75.
Working nights this hitch out in Midland TX. I have been able to play around with fuel vrs mileage since there is less traffic.
55 mph for 30 miles is giving 20. Straight cruise control light wind. Return trip at 75 mph on cruise showed at 16. Speed limit out here is 75, even on a lot of the 2 lane roads. During the day when traffic is crazy, you run 75+ or get run over

Hackmunch

Reaction score
i drove around 600 mile round trip to indy from cleveland. 23.2 mpg average for the 600 miles. 3.21 gears with 33" at tires.

brotharon

Reaction score
I made 5 weeks with truck Monday and 5100 miles. Rebel with 392 gears.
What rpms are you showing when running 75 mph? Just curious. 2100 rpms with the steeper gears at 75.
Working nights this hitch out in Midland TX. I have been able to play around with fuel vrs mileage since there is less traffic.
55 mph for 30 miles is giving 20. Straight cruise control light wind. Return trip at 75 mph on cruise showed at 16. Speed limit out here is 75, even on a lot of the 2 lane roads. During the day when traffic is crazy, you run 75+ or get run over
Yeah, this is a fact. I ran from Houston to San Antonio (leaving at about 4pm on a Friday) averaged 15.8mpg, but wasnt able to use cruise the whole time because of traffic. Averaged 68 mph for the trip. On the way home, I decided to step back a bit on the speed, 60mph average, and got 17.2. My truck hasnt even hit 1k miles yet, but same rebel with 3.92 gears. I am still not sure how much the aero mode on the air ride helps out, i havent noticed a difference. I do believe that it will get better as it breaks in, gets a couple oil changes under its belt, and the computer starts kicking into eco more often (i hear this happens after a couple thousand miles).
Either way, with a 3.92 gearing, big tires, lotsa options, and a big hemi I am not upset by this fuel economy. I pay about the same per month for gas in this truck as I did for the Ford Focus that I traded for it...that was an RS though and took premium gas while returning 18mpg in the city (90% of my driving is good old Houston city driving).

rrbhokies

Reaction score
500 miles on mine. Just did my first full tank fill-up. During the initial fill-up, I put regular 87 in it. I reset the fuel economy calculator, and recorded the mileage on the car in Gas Buddy. Drove it until the light came on, filled up at Costco with 93 for the next tank (28 gallons to fill after the light came on). Fuel calculator showed 11.3 Then calculated with Gas Buddy and it came to 10.6

Now, haven't even been on the highway yet with this truck. I live in the suburbs with a 7 mile commute and have the worst luck hitting nearly every one of the 11 lights between home and my commuter lot. Rarely get the truck up over 55 mph. I few short trips on a limited highway doing 60 for brief sprints. So you can imagine that 11.3 or 10.6 for that matter is not all that unexpected. Although my Charger R/T was averaging about 15 mpg on the same commute route. I was initially hoping for around 13, so 10.6 is not that great and below my expectations, but hopefully it will break in more and see if the gas mileage improves. Also, with this next tank, I used 93 octane, so we'll see if that has any effect on the mpg. From what I've read on other threads, not likely. But with Costco only be 30 cents more for 93 vs. 87, it's worth the shot since apparently the truck wants 89 in the first place (Costco doesn't sell mid-grade).

Wife thinks I'm crazy that I spent $45K ($64K MSRP) on a truck that I drive an average of less than 8k miles a year, but I look at it as money in the bank. Keep this sucker for 5 years and 40k miles and pay it off, truck should be worth at least $22k, right?

Zeeya

Reaction score
500 miles on mine. Just did my first full tank fill-up. During the initial fill-up, I put regular 87 in it. I reset the fuel economy calculator, and recorded the mileage on the car in Gas Buddy. Drove it until the light came on, filled up at Costco with 93 for the next tank (28 gallons to fill after the light came on). Fuel calculator showed 11.3 Then calculated with Gas Buddy and it came to 10.6

Now, haven't even been on the highway yet with this truck. I live in the suburbs with a 7 mile commute and have the worst luck hitting nearly every one of the 11 lights between home and my commuter lot. Rarely get the truck up over 55 mph. I few short trips on a limited highway doing 60 for brief sprints. So you can imagine that 11.3 or 10.6 for that matter is not all that unexpected. Although my Charger R/T was averaging about 15 mpg on the same commute route. I was initially hoping for around 13, so 10.6 is not that great and below my expectations, but hopefully it will break in more and see if the gas mileage improves. Also, with this next tank, I used 93 octane, so we'll see if that has any effect on the mpg. From what I've read on other threads, not likely. But with Costco only be 30 cents more for 93 vs. 87, it's worth the shot since apparently the truck wants 89 in the first place (Costco doesn't sell mid-grade).

Wife thinks I'm crazy that I spent $45K ($64K MSRP) on a truck that I drive an average of less than 8k miles a year, but I look at it as money in the bank. Keep this sucker for 5 years and 40k miles and pay it off, truck should be worth at least $22k, right?
Reading through the manual I could swear I saw 89 recommended. I haven’t tried 87. I’ve ran a few tanks of 93 back home in Lafayette LA, but out here in W Texas 91 is the highest I have seen and .65 more than 93 back home

Zeeya

Reaction score
Yeah, this is a fact. I ran from Houston to San Antonio (leaving at about 4pm on a Friday) averaged 15.8mpg, but wasnt able to use cruise the whole time because of traffic. Averaged 68 mph for the trip. On the way home, I decided to step back a bit on the speed, 60mph average, and got 17.2. My truck hasnt even hit 1k miles yet, but same rebel with 3.92 gears. I am still not sure how much the aero mode on the air ride helps out, i havent noticed a difference. I do believe that it will get better as it breaks in, gets a couple oil changes under its belt, and the computer starts kicking into eco more often (i hear this happens after a couple thousand miles).
Either way, with a 3.92 gearing, big tires, lotsa options, and a big hemi I am not upset by this fuel economy. I pay about the same per month for gas in this truck as I did for the Ford Focus that I traded for it...that was an RS though and took premium gas while returning 18mpg in the city (90% of my driving is good old Houston city driving).
I traded in a 2017 King Ranch w 4” lift and 34”s on it. 5.0 struggled to get into 6th gear out here. 5.7 with 392’s have no problem getting into 8th gear and the ride is not comparable. Great at pulling 22’ bay boat.

ramhead

Reaction score

My theory exactly.....you have a nice NEW truck under full mfg. warranty for 3 years plus 5 years on the powertrain (and can get the extended for even more protection) which you can sell later (esp. with low mileage and if you take care of it) and get a great price. Much better than buying a used truck where you don't know how it's been driven, taken care of or whatever undocumented issues may have happened. When I was talking about buying a new truck I had a few pals tell me I was crazy....that buying new was too expensive, you're paying for something that depreciates right away, yada, yada, yada and I should buy a 2 or 3 yr old truck and "let someone else pay the initial loss".

But, I did look around at used trucks.....anything newer with low miles with the engine/options, etc. I wanted was $27K (with tradeoffs) to $30K+ (meeting the options I wanted). So, I get a brand new 2019 Ram for $37K with 3 miles on odo, full warranty, newest style and mine alone. To me, the $7 to $10K difference between buying new and used was a no brainer....NEW would win every time!

Redhawk01

Reaction score
Reading through the manual I could swear I saw 89 recommended. I haven’t tried 87. I’ve ran a few tanks of 93 back home in Lafayette LA, but out here in W Texas 91 is the highest I have seen and .65 more than 93 back home
87 is what the majority of gas stations carry where i fill up. 89 i do believe is preferred. I've used both with no noticeable mpg difference. My caddy with northstar V8 required premium. I rarely ran it. Never an issue. For a dollar more, no thanks.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Our latest article about our long-term Laramie Sport is up...

Users who are viewing this thread