5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long term storage.

RegularRam

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am waiting on a my21 Laramie and have read posts on trucks succumbing to battery drain and or battery faults. My question is about storing or not using the vehicle for extended periods. As there are so many sophisticated electrical systems can the battery be isolated if to be left for 3 mths or more and the battery be left on a trickle charge without inducing more problems. Meaning if I disconnect the battery for an extended period will this cause any issues when it is reconnected. Thank you in advance.
Tom

Nukegm426

Reaction score
It won’t pass any emissions test right away once you connect the battery back up, and the fuel map will have to relearn which means your fuel mileage might be a little off... otherwise it’ll be fine.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
X2, a 10-20 watt solar charger (if its outside) could take care of that as well, otherwise a simple 1.25 amp Battery Tender or knockoff of same would be good too.

I have to periodically charge ours due to lack of usage, like once/2 weeks, so I use a 4 amp Harbor Fright charger about weekly.

VIKING​

4 Amp Fully Automatic Microprocessor Controlled Battery Charger/Maintainer​

(2,6133 4.5/5 stars)
This 4 Amp car battery charger is fully automatic for trouble-free charging $29.99

RegularRam

Reaction score
X2, a 10-20 watt solar charger (if its outside) could take care of that as well, otherwise a simple 1.25 amp Battery Tender or knockoff of same would be good too.

I have to periodically charge ours due to lack of usage, like once/2 weeks, so I use a 4 amp Harbor Fright charger about weekly.

VIKING​

4 Amp Fully Automatic Microprocessor Controlled Battery Charger/Maintainer​

(2,6133 4.5/5 stars)
This 4 Amp car battery charger is fully automatic for trouble-free charging $29.99
I was always taught to disconnect the battery whilst charging. Is that still the general recommendation with auto trickle battery chargers.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't use a trickle charger because they never shut off and can actually damage a battery if unattended. During the first pandemic shut down, I put my Battery Tender on mine. I have had Battery Tenders for years. I have one on my GT500 that's stored under a cover for the winter. No need to disconnect the battery. Just attach it, plug it in and forget it.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I would also suggest a Battery Tender. My truck is pretty basic as far as options and tech goes, but I have never experienced a dead battery as many have described. I actually haven't used a Battery Tender on my truck, but it's not a bad idea to do so. I do use a Battery Tender on my 2009 Wrangler that gets driven even less than the RAM. Sometimes my truck sits for 2-3 weeks at a time; purchased in Aug 2019 and currently have about 7k miles.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another vote for Battery Tender. They're pretty much standard equipment if you have a motorcycle and your winter months get cold. Motorcycle goes in the garage, Tender goes on it, sits for 4-6 months, cranks up like the last ride was yesterday.

Battery Tenders are NOT battery chargers though. My brother tried to make that assumption for his, and it's not the case.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
There are so many electrical devices with memories in our trucks that you should avoid letting the battery go dead or disconnecting it. We're not talking just radio station presets and clock like the olden days. If the throttle body gets dirty and the memory goes, it may not idle. Windows and moonroof might need reinitialization. Spend a few bucks extra and get a battery tender.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the vehicle is being stored inside, say a garage, it will be less of a problem if it’s in there for 2-3 months at a time, especially if it’s heated and you’re in a cold climate. If it’s outside then yeah it may be an issue for your battery, regardless inside or not, I recommend the same, a battery tender.

I had just left my ‘18 F-150 outside for 2 1/2 months (Dealer was holding it to trade when my Ram came in). Long story short, I wanted it back and they said sure; only problem being is that it’s been like 10 degrees out and had never been started, battery was drained. Got it jumped and been fine ever since. So if you’re doing that repeatedly, yeah it’s gonna drain your battery more over time, recommend what the guys said above me.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Another vote for Battery Tender. They're pretty much standard equipment if you have a motorcycle and your winter months get cold. Motorcycle goes in the garage, Tender goes on it, sits for 4-6 months, cranks up like the last ride was yesterday.

Battery Tenders are NOT battery chargers though. My brother tried to make that assumption for his, and it's not the case.
True, a tender (there’s .75 to 1.25 amp varieties) only maintains the battery from parasitical drains (alarms, computers, self-discharging lead acid).

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thought I would share what I'm using to keep my battery charged and monitored.

I chose to go with the Granite Digital Charger, Maintainer, Cleaner & Tester - 50 Watt (6 & 12 Volt).

1. It is 50 Watts so it will charge the battery quickly
  2. Uses a pulsing technology to desulfate the battery
  3. Low Voltage Monitor with audible Alarm
Granite-Digital_Batter_Saver1.png

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a battery tender as well, but I unplugged and removed the battery.

So just as a heads up, if the battery either dies, or you decide to take it out, the truck will reset itself to the lowest available trim, but it will take a day to restore it settings.

My example, I did a trickle charge on my battery, but it my trickle charger wasn’t reading the battery, until I took off the connectors for a couple of hours. When I put my connectors back, it reset my Laramie to a tradesman. I didn’t have all of the creature comforts I was used to....but after a day, all of the settings came back. I was ready to go back to the dealer, but after some searching, this is normal.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Huh I never would have guessed that it resets electronic things to their lowest trim. Weird. Such changes nowadays! Thanks for the warning!

Wonder if my 12” screen, air suspension and power running boards go away as well? Hmmm 🤔😆😫

Users who are viewing this thread