5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lomax Hard Cover - Bedliner Coating?

Spray Bedliner on a Lomax hard cover?

• I have no opinion, I just like clicking buttons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi All!

I didn't find a similar situation in search - but I have a curious question:

I have a spray-in bedliner appointment coming up and the shop has a single price for any bed size (long or short, same price) - well; with the short bed, it sounds like they'll have no issue spraying a couple parts along with the truck if desired and prep is minimal.

I recently installed the Lomax tri-fold hard cover (aluminum w/black .. vinyl? paint? not sure the coating) - I'm wondering, given the chance, would a bed liner coating do anything for me other than add weight? I'm thinking more abrasion resistance, ability to throw something up there without damaging the surface etc...

Thoughts? I'm leaning to 'yes', provided they'll do it at no cost anyway.

Bleda2002

Reaction score
I'd be worried that the thickness of the liner would throw off the foldability of it, the spray liners are actually pretty thick. Not to mention it would add a good amount of weight and how often are you really putting a pile of gravel on top of your cover?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd be worried that the thickness of the liner would throw off the foldability of it, the spray liners are actually pretty thick. Not to mention it would add a good amount of weight and how often are you really putting a pile of gravel on top of your cover?

I'm with you here - the thickness should be good if it's even collectively 1/4" or less based on the flexibility of the hinges.. I'm definitely not throwing anything on top of the cover (rated to 400# of distributed weight, most I can imagine would be a roof bag tied down if ever required. The weight is the biggest thing, I'd effectively lower the 'payload' of the cover by a few pounds and more importantly, carrying around a few pounds extra for no real reason...

geotex1

Reaction score
I wouldn't. The Lomax is textured powdercoat. Bedliner is heavy, and would add some sag to the Lomax. Depending on what bedliner, UV could be a real aesthetic issue, and if a soft lining it will keep the dirt and inhibit how fast water moves off the cover.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Appreciate the insight @geotex1 , I hadn't looked up the coating for the Lomax but if it's PC already, I suppose not much I should worry about; plus in a few years I could just vinyl it anyway (already thinking about that route)

Thanks all for the insight!

jkm312

Reaction score
I have been trying to decide on another soft roll up tonneau cover from Access, or install the Lomax on the Laramie I have coming. For my needs and the ways in which I use my trucks it would be advantageous to be able to take the cover completely out of the truck box from my experiences with the roll up cover. The question I have does the bottom side of the aluminum panels get any condensation on them from sudden temp and humidity changes like we get here in the midwest early spring and late fall? Most of the time it wouldn't really make much difference, until the one time it does.

I'm new to this forum and found some valuable information to help me learn the ins and outs of the Ram features. What to look for, what to expect, and some insight on how to handle the unexpected. I'm a GM convert. Thank you to all of you who are sharing their experiences, explanations and solutions. They are helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread