5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Load Range E Tires in Soft Sand

Wetsand09

Reaction score
I posted this same thread under "Wheel and Tires", but think it would be relevant here as well...

I have a 2019 Rebel (5.7L eTorque and 3.92's) that I drive on soft sand beaches frequently with the factory 275/70r18 Duratracs (Traction Control Off).

Previously, I had a Wrangler with Duratracs (285/70r17's) that I ran at 32PSI, which worked well enough for both the beach and highway.
Since I only run about 150 yds on the beach until I get to my spot, having one pressure that works for both on and off-road driving had appeal.
With the Jeep, I ran in 4HIGH and kept 4LO as a reserve if I got in a jam. Airing down to 15PSI w/ 4LO has gotten me out of all situations.

With the Rebel, inflated to the "Door Jamb Specs" (55front/45rear for the Load E Tires), I noticed it wants to dig in the sand, particularly with any minor incline.
I find myself having to drop into 4LO (with and without the Locker) more frequently to prevent myself from getting stuck.
I figured that it was somewhat "as expected" after making the switch from a shorter wheelbase/light Jeep, to a truck with limited weight over the rear axle.

While the Rebel was at the dealer for service, I had a 2019 Big Horn loaner vehicle that handled much better in the soft sand (running at 36PSI if I remember correctly).
I'm guessing the Big Horn had 3.21 gears, and a standard All-Season tire...

Given that payload and towing capacities between the Big Horn and Rebel are fairly close to one another, what warranted the Load E tires for the Rebel?
Just the peace of mind of a 10-ply tire for rock climbing and other harsh off-road conditions? Because of added weight of the factory skid plates?

In theory, could someone simply swap factory Big Horn Wheels/Tires with Rebel Wheels/Tires?
Aside from the TPMS's throwing a fit, each truck would have tires at, or close to a factory spec, but on a different truck with similar GVWR's and towing capacities.

Could I expect my Rebel with BigHorn Tires to handle as the loaner did in soft sand conditions?
My thoughts are the "lower by default" tire pressure will help with traction, along with the less aggressive tread pattern.

If I were replace my Load E tires with Load D tires, is that a potential liability issue since the truck came from the factory with Load E tires?
Would a dealer be able to adjust the TPMS to reflect the new tires, or would I have to get a programmer to adjust that number?

Or am I completely missing something else?
3.21 vs 3.92 gears?
Added Skid Plate Weight?
??

Thanks in advance.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lot to unpack here.

It's always advisable to deflate your tires on soft sand... not only does it make it easier on your vehicle, it doesn't cut up the beach or trail as much. For example, every beach you can drive on here in MA has regulations mandating PSI's below 20... most advise 12-15. Fortunately they also provide air-up stations.

Deflating your tires make them less round, elongating the contact area, and provide more float. A round street tire at 32 psi, or E-Rated tire at 32 psi would have the same/similar "roundness" provided they're the same size. I know there's a number of Rebel owners on here run their tires well below the 55/45 recommendation (which seems intended to support a payload). From them, it seems like you could run at a lower psi.

The Duratrac's are a good AT/MT hybrid tire that suit the Rebel's off-road intent. Most AT tires for full size trucks are E-Rated that I've seen... so it's a package deal.

For what it's worth, my Rebel at 18 psi is fantastic in the sand. Maybe get a 12V air compressor to pump back up?
Rebel Beach4.jpg Rebel Beach3.jpg Rebel Beach2.jpg Rebel Beach1.jpg

Journeyman

Reaction score
I took mine on the dunes for the first time around a month ago, I deflated to 20psi and it handled beautifully. Other cars got stuck in places where this one breezed through.

RainDesert

Reaction score
I have not been on sand with my 1500. But I did spend a lot of time on the sand and towing with my previous diesels. I never got stuck, but always aired down to no more than 20psi depending on my trailer load. I carried a quality 12v compressor and aired back up once I got back to pavement.

Ramgoose

Reaction score
A lot to unpack here.

It's always advisable to deflate your tires on soft sand... not only does it make it easier on your vehicle, it doesn't cut up the beach or trail as much. For example, every beach you can drive on here in MA has regulations mandating PSI's below 20... most advise 12-15. Fortunately they also provide air-up stations.

Deflating your tires make them less round, elongating the contact area, and provide more float. A round street tire at 32 psi, or E-Rated tire at 32 psi would have the same/similar "roundness" provided they're the same size. I know there's a number of Rebel owners on here run their tires well below the 55/45 recommendation (which seems intended to support a payload). From them, it seems like you could run at a lower psi.

The Duratrac's are a good AT/MT hybrid tire that suit the Rebel's off-road intent. Most AT tires for full size trucks are E-Rated that I've seen... so it's a package deal.

For what it's worth, my Rebel at 18 psi is fantastic in the sand. Maybe get a 12V air compressor to pump back up?
View attachment 46569 View attachment 46570 View attachment 46571 View attachment 46572
Very nice. Where is the beach?

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sandy Neck, Cape Cod. Last September. Hopefully they'll be opening the beaches again soon.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Side note... About a month ago right before the pandemic started closing things down, we snuck out onto Duxbury beach (need a permit but it was late winter). The Air Station wasn't operating and no one was airing down, just driving right out to the beach. I didn't bring my compressor (went there on a whim after going out to breakfast) so we decided to chance it and do the same.

There were quite a few people out enjoying the unusually warm day. No one was aired down and the beach was chewed up, deep, heavy sand. Two trucks and a mid-2000's Expedition got stuck in the two hours we were there. I was mildly concerned we were going to face a similar fate. Fortunately, we had absolutely no issue but I made sure to keep my momentum up when transiting off the beach.

Point is that even though the conditions were prime for getting stuck and I wasn't aired down... the truck was up to the task. 4-Lo and plenty of throttle. Not advising going out on sand without airing down, but shouldn't necessarily be afraid to either. You can always air down to help get yourself out if the going gets tough.

In this very cropped photo you can sort of make out how chopped up the beach was, and my front left tire sinking almost up to the rim on the more dense sand by the tide line... only pic we had from the day.
IMG_0203.jpg

UNKALJ

Reaction score
I've been driving on beaches along the east coast for close to 25 years. Mainly in the NorthEast and now in Florida where you can drive cars on the beach in many areas with no 4WD. I can tell by the look of the sand if airing down will be required. In those cases I'd air down to between 15-20 PSI and slow throttle keeping steady speed. In my experience tire tread doesn't matter on the beach if you air down. Aggressive tires will want to dig in by default, by airing down it cause the tires to push the sand out of the way and more of a float on top as opposed to digging in.

Users who are viewing this thread