5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifts Levels and MPG

irishwake63

Reaction score
I get excellent mpg on my 22 1500 5.7 non etorque quad and I was interested in a level or a 3.5 RC lift with maybe some 33s just curious how much I will lose with those options and how much some are getting with those I am currently avg 22 mpg on hwy

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I lost 1.5-2 MPG going up 2” and running 35’s (285/65/20). If I nurse the throttle and drive like a Grandpa (no offense to the Grandpa’s) I can probably almost negate the loss. At least minimize it more. But I got the Hemi for a reason and enjoy my driving experience so that ~2 MPG loss is negligible to me. I float around 13.5-14.5 MPG combined (35%/65% Hwy/City) with 3.92’s and tools in the truck.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I lost 1.5-2 MPG going up 2” and running 35’s (285/65/20). If I nurse the throttle and drive like a Grandpa (no offense to the Grandpa’s) I can probably almost negate the loss. At least minimize it more. But I got the Hemi for a reason and enjoy my driving experience so that ~2 MPG loss is negligible to me. I float around 13.5-14.5 MPG combined (35%/65% Hwy/City) with 3.92’s and tools in the truck.

Stock the best I'm getting average is 16.5 :ROFLMAO:

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stock the best I'm getting average is 16.5 :ROFLMAO:
The Limited I rented for a long weekend in Florida recently struggled to get up to 16.5 combined when I turned her back in after a few hundred miles. And I nursed the heck out of her down there. 😝😂. Point being, I’m very happy with my MPG’s and how I built my truck so far. As many have said once or twice before, if MPG’s are a concern, get a Prius. 😂🤣

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Limited I rented for a long weekend in Florida recently struggled to get up to 16.5 combined when I turned her back in after a few hundred miles. And I nursed the heck out of her down there. 😝😂. Point being, I’m very happy with my MPG’s and how I built my truck so far. As many have said once or twice before, if MPG’s are a concern, get a Prius. 😂🤣
Exactly!! I slowed on the highway to cruising 75 to work, otherwise I was averaging 14.5 :poop::poop:

irishwake63

Reaction score
Im that grandpa lol I rarely go over 70 on the hwy, I can kinda understand 35s making a huge difference but 33s and a level may be ok I guess. Im more concerned about when I tow our travel trailer

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im that grandpa lol I rarely go over 70 on the hwy, I can kinda understand 35s making a huge difference but 33s and a level may be ok I guess. Im more concerned about when I tow our travel trailer
Most HD 2500’s come with 33’s from the factory so I don’t think towing will be an issue. Don’t forget to correct your Speedo if you do upsize.

boogielander

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
never concerned about MPG... even when i'm going on long offroad trips where I spend few days without touching pavement.
worst case I just bring a jug of 5 gallon gas with me but I never use it.
we're not crossing the Sahara where you don't really see fuel stations... even in the remote roads of Alaska where gas stations are 200+ miles apart (Prudoe Bay to Coldfoot is 242 miles apart), MPG is not even a concern for me.

life's too short to worry about MPG and not build the truck properly (not with frigging spacers just to save a few bucks... that's doing thing wrong). just lift it and enjoy it while you still can.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Set up is in my signature, when truck was stock i average 19mpg. Once i leveled and added the tires i average 16. If you want to lift your truck and add all terrains, MPG should be the least of your worries man. Shouldnt really be a thought, should just be expected. If it was should have went with a V6

irishwake63

Reaction score
never concerned about MPG... even when i'm going on long offroad trips where I spend few days without touching pavement.
worst case I just bring a jug of 5 gallon gas with me but I never use it.
we're not crossing the Sahara where you don't really see fuel stations... even in the remote roads of Alaska where gas stations are 200+ miles apart (Prudoe Bay to Coldfoot is 242 miles apart), MPG is not even a concern for me.

life's too short to worry about MPG and not build the truck properly (not with frigging spacers just to save a few bucks... that's doing thing wrong). just lift it and enjoy it while you still can.
looking at your sig you have stock rims with 35s have any pics? may be the same road I need to be on

Rambilt

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am also a grandpa and I tow a small travel trailer 21ft to be exact. My truck had 24s and I just replaced it with 35s on a 20X9 +8 wheel. It's a very inexpensive (cheap lol) tire and wheel combo but the load range is way better than the 24s I had. I was really concerned about the load range that's why I replaced it with higher load range tires. Anyway, I also had the N3 Rough Country 2" leveler and an air bag Airlift HD1000 installed to accommodate the 35s. I haven't towed with these of tires yet but in a couple of weeks we are looking at 7 hour haul to go camping one of the national/state parks in Oklahoma. About gas mileage I just don't worry about it because every time I attached the trailer the mileage just drop to a single digit (ouch).

Attachments

• ram1.jpeg
    ram1.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 11
  • ram2.jpeg
    ram2.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 11
  • ram3.jpeg
    ram3.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 10
  • ram4.jpeg
    ram4.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 9
  • ram5.jpeg
    ram5.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 24swheel.jpeg
    24swheel.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 10

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I went with the v6 for mileage and cost of the truck. I then got the “itch” to make it look like a truck. I now get mid 16s for mpg, but at this point it’s worth it just for the look. Wish it was a hemi, but for what I use it for it works

rick619

Reaction score
33's will fit stock. So if you only want to do 33's, either keep it stock, or a small level. For 35's, you could still to a level or up to 4" lift. A quality lift and shocks will likely give you a better ride.

Aside from MPG, keep in mind that turning radius will be worse with taller and/or wider tires. Also if you're using it for work, or use your bed a lot, keep in mind that getting things in and out of the bed is going to be more difficult. I used to have an F150 with 6" lift and 35's. It looked great, but I used it for work and began to hate the lift. Also trying to get through a drive through for fast food sucked more if it was tight. Sometimes I would have to turn, back up a bit, and turn again.

I bought mine to tow with, so most likely going to keep it stock height with 33's.

Rambilt

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
33's will fit stock. So if you only want to do 33's, either keep it stock, or a small level. For 35's, you could still to a level or up to 4" lift. A quality lift and shocks will likely give you a better ride.

Aside from MPG, keep in mind that turning radius will be worse with taller and/or wider tires. Also if you're using it for work, or use your bed a lot, keep in mind that getting things in and out of the bed is going to be more difficult. I used to have an F150 with 6" lift and 35's. It looked great, but I used it for work and began to hate the lift. Also trying to get through a drive through for fast food sucked more if it was tight. Sometimes I would have to turn, back up a bit, and turn again.

I bought mine to tow with, so most likely going to keep it stock height with 33's.
That's a good point you provided! That's one of the reasons I kept the offsets of the wheel I bought to almost stock specs. The wheel I paired my 35s is 20X9 +18 by ION. The only thing I need to have adjusted is the wheel calibration. I'm taking it to the dealer after the 4th of July holiday that's when my service advisor comes back from vacation.

v/r

rick

Shine006

Reaction score
I have the RC 3.5“ lift with icon 1.5” lift springs on the year. My 22 quad Bighorn gets on average 12 mpg. Granted I have a lot of hills in my area and Falken Wildpeak 275 65/r20lt tires.

Attachments

• 3705AB60-0186-4ED3-9AB8-4DD2254C0F09.jpeg
    3705AB60-0186-4ED3-9AB8-4DD2254C0F09.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0150.jpeg
    IMG_0150.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread