5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifters and cam shaft being replaced

Ramsandwich

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone’s experience has been after having their lifters and cam shafts replaced with the v8 Hemi engine.

Just bought the truck used from the dealer with 58k miles, turns out it needs new lifters and cam shaft which dealer is having replaced at ram mopar.

I love this truck but I’m not sure if I even want to keep it now. Has anyone had luck after replacing these parts? Thanks

RAL

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone’s experience has been after having their lifters and cam shafts replaced with the v8 Hemi engine.

Just bought the truck used from the dealer with 58k miles, turns out it needs new lifters and cam shaft which dealer is having replaced at ram mopar.

I love this truck but I’m not sure if I even want to keep it now. Has anyone had luck after replacing these parts? Thanks
I have not had this experience with our Ram. However many years ago I had (and still have) a BMW where they had to change the block due to chemical corrosion of the cylinder liners. We also had a Honda where they changed the oil control rings on the deactivated bank of the motor - it utilized variable cylinder shut off. Each time the car was fine when it came back.

What I would do is ask to see the motor when they have it apart. You can tell a great deal about the condition of the motor by looking at the condition of the heads, the timing chains, guides, etc. to see if the motor had regular oil changes. You could also quietly ask the mechanic what he thinks about what he sees in terms of the condition of the motor. Before the work is done, you might also ask the advisor (this sounds like a dealer job) for a very experienced mechanic or perhaps the shop’s lead mechanic given that this is a major job. Be polite and engaging, but firm. You would be surprised at what you can get from doing that. Good luck with it.

Users who are viewing this thread