5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifelong "Ford Guy" in my first RAM

TemeculaRAM

Reaction score
Greetings!

As the title says, I've been a Ford guy my whole life (owned 4 Rangers and an F-150, wife still drives an Explorer and I commute in a Focus). Had a '19 Ranger but we recently fell in love with a 28 ft travel trailer and the truck was maxed out towing it. I know all the RV "experts" say you oughta have at least a 3/4 if not a 1 ton truck for any kind of heavy towing. Having said that, I went with a '19 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, 5.7L w/3.92 rear axle ratio, Granite Crystal Metallic clearcoat, Sport appearance package, Level 2 Equipment Group, RamBox, integrated Trailer Brake Control. I'm towing a StarCraft SuperLite 241BH which is 5530 lbs dry. Payload on the truck is a little lower than I anticipated (1609) but after I fell in love with the truck I figured we could make it work. I don't anticipate loading the trailer with more than 1,000 lbs which would still leave us with room for about 2-300 lbs of gear in the truck.

Anyway, look forward to interacting with the group. Hoping this is the last truck I'll be driving for a long time!

Smerberj

Reaction score
Welcome!
I'm coming from GM, I've had an S10 and two Silverados. Love my Ram 1500. Just keep an eye on your driver side floor board, these trucks are known to leak water into the cab from that location.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You should be ok with a quality weight distributing hitch with your trailer.
just keep speeds down to a reasonable amount (65 or so), air your tires to the max on the sidewalls and keep a watch on the (likely) “china bomb” tires that most trailers have on them.
I just made a trip back and forth from NC to OK then up to Co. I must have seen 20+ Rv and boat trailers with blownout tires. The combination of excessive speed and heat are tire killers.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Greetings!

As the title says, I've been a Ford guy my whole life (owned 4 Rangers and an F-150, wife still drives an Explorer and I commute in a Focus). Had a '19 Ranger but we recently fell in love with a 28 ft travel trailer and the truck was maxed out towing it. I know all the RV "experts" say you oughta have at least a 3/4 if not a 1 ton truck for any kind of heavy towing. Having said that, I went with a '19 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, 5.7L w/3.92 rear axle ratio, Granite Crystal Metallic clearcoat, Sport appearance package, Level 2 Equipment Group, RamBox, integrated Trailer Brake Control. I'm towing a StarCraft SuperLite 241BH which is 5530 lbs dry. Payload on the truck is a little lower than I anticipated (1609) but after I fell in love with the truck I figured we could make it work. I don't anticipate loading the trailer with more than 1,000 lbs which would still leave us with room for about 2-300 lbs of gear in the truck.

Anyway, look forward to interacting with the group. Hoping this is the last truck I'll be driving for a long time!
Welcome to the forum and congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread