5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leveling Kit

asbury2818

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 4x4. I want the truck sitting level. What is my best option? What is everyone using?

MarkB67

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 4x4. I want the truck sitting level. What is my best option? What is everyone using?
First of all if you want the truck to sit level you need to understand that the measurement from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender is misleading, the truck needs to be an inch higher in the back for the actual body of the truck to be level, people are obsessed with being level thinking that if they get the front brought up to the back with the same measurement between the tire and fender that it will be level when it will actually riding high in the front, this is because the rear fender arch is cut out an inch more than the front fender, but to answer your question you need to go with Bilstein 5100 adjustable struts ,and definitely DO NOT BUY NEW UPPER CONTROL ARMS!!!!! You don’t need them! You need to measure from the ground to the bottom of the fender front and back and see what your measurements are to see what the difference is

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First of all if you want the truck to sit level you need to understand that the measurement from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender is misleading, the truck needs to be an inch higher in the back for the actual body of the truck to be level, people are obsessed with being level thinking that if they get the front brought up to the back with the same measurement between the tire and fender that it will be level when it will actually riding high in the front, this is because the rear fender arch is cut out an inch more than the front fender, but to answer your question you need to go with Bilstein 5100 adjustable struts ,and definitely DO NOT BUY NEW UPPER CONTROL ARMS!!!!! You don’t need them! You need to measure from the ground to the bottom of the fender front and back and see what your measurements are to see what the difference is

I think this is true with a lot of trucks, guys put on a level kit and say it is dead level but they almost always look nose high to me. Just because the measurement on the fenders is the same front to back does not make it level. The fenders are not the same front to back and the body work takes rake into account.

JRAM

Reaction score
Why no on the UCA replacement? I have a 2019 and had 3 dealers tell me that would be important to keep alignment issues to a minimum. Just a vast array of opinions. I hear from one to just put in a 2" RC Disc, another tells me to put in a RC UCA, and then another tells me to run Bilsteins. Personally I am not a huge fan of anything RC.

Nhoj Rehsif

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I have been working midnights and have researched this. I previously had a 2017 1500 Longhorn w/o air ride.
I started out with spacers. Worked well, but the ride diminished greatly, basically it sucked, It worked, but was rough as hell.
I Removed that for the Bilstein 5100 adjustable and replaced the UCA from RC. Worked very well. With the shock adjusted to the highest setting, it barely aligned without having to use a LCA bracket. The ride hands down better! I also replaced the rear with 5100’s as well. Then I put 35’s under it with very little trimming of the inner fender well, no problems at all.
The RC UCA appeared to be stronger and better than factory. My opinion.
Anyways, it depends in what your ultimate goal is. Will it work without replacing the UCA? Sure, but many have said it contributes to premature wear in the ball joint, which makes sense. I replaced it to be proactive, but is subjective. Not to mention, there are engineers that designed them for FCA for a reason.

I recently upgraded to a 2020 Limited w/ air and did a ton of research on it.
What I am attempting to attain may not be what you are looking for since I can get 2 more inches of ride height by a press of a button. I didn’t want to go 4-5 inches due to family getting in and out and making it harder for my old dog to get in and out of the bed.
Now, by reading different information, Mopar makes a UCA designed for a 2 inch lift on the front so you get the proper angles when lifting the front. To me, if they have designed it, it is for a reason and for less than $40 each, piece of mind.

I have chosen to keep the factory ride with the ability to adjust ride height. I have order the Revel Performance adjustable rods (front and rear), DayStar spacers(Front) and Mopar 2 inch lift UCA. This will allow me to level the truck w/o having to sacrifice ride quality.

I am interested in hearing what others think. Hope this helps.

JRAM

Reaction score
That helps alot i appreciate it. I'm going to do some more research on the Mopar 2" lift with UCA. Seems like most people talk mainly about aftermarket parts

Nhoj Rehsif

Reaction score
That helps alot i appreciate it. I'm going to do some more research on the Mopar 2" lift with UCA. Seems like most people talk mainly about aftermarket parts
Upon switching out my UCA’s, if you have the air ride, save your money. It already has them for the 2” lift. So, if you need them I have an extra set with 3k miles on them.

Brrryan

Reaction score

Well put my friend!

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Upon switching out my UCA’s, if you have the air ride, save your money. It already has them for the 2” lift. So, if you need them I have an extra set with 3k miles on them.
Um no your wrong did you ever actually measure the angle. I did. Big difference and stock air ride uppers are NOT the same. 43A30781-1CD5-464B-A9F2-7551EF8E0C4C.jpeg D532562F-18E7-42FF-861F-487B2A58E602.jpeg

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I went with rear lowering springs, best option for me as it was cheap and the install was quick and simple. Mainly it didn't **** off my wife. I'll still be able to run a 33" tire when the OEMs are shot and will fill out the wheel arches nicely

Nhoj Rehsif

Reaction score
Um no your wrong did you ever actually measure the angle. I did. Big difference and stock air ride uppers are NOT the same. View attachment 61331 View attachment 61332
I did. I am not speak for all with air. On my 2020 Limited they were the same. I cannot speak for yours and I did not say all. I compared the part numbers and checked the angle of my UCA’s when they were side-by-side as well.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty sure a Rebel which is made from factory with a one inch lift over your limited would be the truck with the off road UCA,s. Anyway like another member had posted somewhere on this forum if you go full drop on the suspension with air the upper Uca will just hit the air shock, mine do this with the off road Uca. If you leave the factory upper on you avoid it coming down far enough to hit your shock as you have maxed out your upper ball joint before full extension which is not going to work out well.

Users who are viewing this thread