5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lesson learned loading a trailer in OR1

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Had the truck in OR1 with a heavy duty dump trailer in tow. Had to 4 wheel into where I was gonna load it and needed a little additional clearance..... didn't take the truck out of OR1 and after loading the trailer I was unable to adjust any air ride settings back to normal and got the payload error. I'm thinking the payload error is more sensitive if you start in OR1 rather than 'normal'.

Once I was clear of the need for clearance I had to disconnect the trailer completely and drive the truck around the block for the computer to allow me to get back to the 'normal' suspension setting. Then I hooked the trailer back up with no issues.....

Lesson learned..... heavy loads should only be done in the 'normal' setting.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I raise/lower the air suspension often when hitching/unhitching my trailer with no issues. 840 tongue weight + 80 hitch + whatever is in the bed (usually less than 150).

W9MCP

Reaction score
I have a small hard side popup trailer (Forest River A122SESP) with nothing in the bed aside from a bicycle under a folding soft tonneau. On one trip, I changed to OR1 as I pulled off the main road onto the gravel road, pulled to my place (level within a few degrees), stopped the truck/trailer, raised the hitch to OR2, dropped the tongue jack to the ground & chocked the trailer tires, released the ball, chains, 7-way etc and lowered the truck to Aero and pulled around so I could move the truck next to the trailer rather than in front of it.

2 days later, I backed the truck up to the trailer when I was ready to leave. I didn’t want to climb in and out of the truck, so I just lowered the trailer onto the ball, hooked everything up, and then climbed in to raise it.

I got the “Selected ride height not permitted due to payload” error, and was thinking “ok, now I’m stuck in Aero for getting off this property and for a 6 hour drive home. I raised the tongue jack well off the ball, detached everything, pulled forward, and tried to raise the truck with nothing on the tongue, and still got the error. So I drove it a few feet, parked it, and shut it completely down. Then I started it up, drive it around in a circle, and then it let me reset it to normal. I pulled back up to the trailer, dropped it on the ball, hooked up, and then was able to happily change heights without issue including going into aero mode on the highway at speed.

I haven’t been able to recreate it, but I think I may be cautious about using aero or exit entry mode to get out from under the tongue when I’m at the far end of a trip until I can recreate it. Different issue if I’m home, so I’m likely to spend some time trying to induce a failure and see WTH might be related :)

Users who are viewing this thread