5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lemon exchange question

fireman-175

Reaction score
Curious as to how anyone goes about lemon law through Chrysler? My 21’ Laramie will be at the dealership 30 days this coming Thursday and there doesn’t seem to be a fix for an electrical issue. Do I just go to the dealership and tell them I want a new truck or is there more to it?
I would look at your state's Lemon Law rules as some only allow buybacks.

Njramman19

Reaction score
I would look at your state's Lemon Law rules as some only allow buybacks.
Been in contact with the dealership and they’re telling me it’s Chrysler’s decision on doing a buy back or a “substitution of collateral” to swap for a new truck. According to the rep I’ve been working with at fca, she’s waiting on an answer from her manager on what the next step is. At this point the dealership is telling me they have exhausted all options to fix the truck and it’s just a waiting game with FCA. Depending on the outcome from them I’ll be pursuing lemon law if they don’t want to do what’s right.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sounds like they are looking into it. The one difference I found between Ford and Chrysler, was that Chrysler stopped my mileage at the 1st day I brought it in for the heater issue. I got the car back, had electrical issues and had to order the new car. There were delays in the paperwork on the 1st Scat Pack replacement, which was actually a 2016. It had to be ordered, so there was 8 weeks. Then there was paperwork issues for another 30 days. When I went to get the car, there was now lot damage, so the dealer wouldn't allow me to take it. Now, the 2016s were no longer oderable and the '17 order banks weren't open yet. I had to wait for the '17 order bank to open, then order. I put well over 10k miles on the car during this time and I didn't have to pay for any of the mileage. Chrysler took care of me.

Ford, on the other hand, followed state lemon law guidelines and the mileage didn't stop until the arbitrator issued his decision. There were months of delays from Ford that caused my mileage to go up and I had to pay the penalty on all of it. Oh well. I'm back in a Dodge and I'm looking forward to it being a great truck. I understand all vehicles have issues, but as long as they can be fixed, I'm ok.

Njramman19

Reaction score
It sounds like they are looking into it. The one difference I found between Ford and Chrysler, was that Chrysler stopped my mileage at the 1st day I brought it in for the heater issue. I got the car back, had electrical issues and had to order the new car. There were delays in the paperwork on the 1st Scat Pack replacement, which was actually a 2016. It had to be ordered, so there was 8 weeks. Then there was paperwork issues for another 30 days. When I went to get the car, there was now lot damage, so the dealer wouldn't allow me to take it. Now, the 2016s were no longer oderable and the '17 order banks weren't open yet. I had to wait for the '17 order bank to open, then order. I put well over 10k miles on the car during this time and I didn't have to pay for any of the mileage. Chrysler took care of me.

Ford, on the other hand, followed state lemon law guidelines and the mileage didn't stop until the arbitrator issued his decision. There were months of delays from Ford that caused my mileage to go up and I had to pay the penalty on all of it. Oh well. I'm back in a Dodge and I'm looking forward to it being a great truck. I understand all vehicles have issues, but as long as they can be fixed, I'm ok.
I’m really hoping fca takes care of me. I went to get a few things out of the truck yesterday and it was a disaster. The windshield is removed and almost the entire interior was taken apart from them tracing out all the electrical connections. My ram case manager called me today and said they’re requesting all service paperwork and wanted to know exact days the trucks been at the dealership. She was sending all of that off to someone else that deals with making decisions on vehicle swaps and buy backs. Fingers crossed that it’s a positive outcome.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
t sounds like they are working to take care of you. This is how my process started. They will ask if if you want a replacement or if you want out of the car altogether. Then if you say you want a replacement, they have you tell them what you want and if they can't find one within a certain radius, they'll have you order a new one.

pensfan

Reaction score
When I did the lemon law process on my '14 Ram, I used these guys.
The settlement I got was a refund of the purchase price, minus a mileage adjustment, interest paid on the loan, and a reimbursement for any mods I did after I bought the truck. The tires had to have 4/32 or better. I had bought the Lifetime Chrysler warranty and that was prorated based on when I cancelled the warranty. FCA also paid the attorney fees. In the 18 months I owned the truck, the prices on the '16 Rams increased 12%.
I am very happy with my '16 Ram and have no intention of getting rid of it. If I suddenly needed a replacement I would get the Classic as I haven't warmed to the styling of the DT after all this time.

Last edited:

syniba

Reaction score
When I did the lemon law process on my '14 Ram, I used these guys.
The settlement I got was a refund of the purchase price, minus a mileage adjustment, interest paid on the loan, and a reimbursement for any mods I did after I bought the truck. The tires had to have 4/32 or better. I had bought the Lifetime Chrysler warranty and that was prorated based on when I cancelled the warranty. FCA also paid the attorney fees. In the 18 months I owned the truck, the prices on the '16 Rams increased 12%.
I am very happy with my '16 Ram and have no intention of getting rid of it. If I suddenly needed a replacement I would get the Classic as I haven't warmed to the styling of the DT after all this time.
Are you saying they reimbursed your for the interest and mods or did not reimburse you for them? The wording is confusing.

pensfan

Reaction score
Are you saying they reimbursed your for the interest and mods or did not reimburse you for them? The wording is confusing.
I was reimbursed for the interest and aftermarket mods. My mileage offset for depreciation was $179.. The 179 is based on when my first service appointment for the issue was, which was around 700 miles.The offset and pro rata of my lifetime warranty were my only losses of the process.
I was very happy with the results.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both Dodge and Ford reimburse for the mods done, if you can show receipts. Ford wasn't as good as Dodge though. They took my window tint and other options and depreciated it over time and gave me pennies on the dollar. Dodge paid me straight up for the tint, screen protector, floor mats, etc.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
out of service more than 30 days. Mainly, as you see my other post, the transmission issues and two similar issues. I don't trust the truck anymore.
I'm in this exact position with regard to more than a month out of service. How big of a pain was the process?

Users who are viewing this thread