5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Left turn locking

frommy29

Reaction score
Anyone have issues traveling of 70mph and as you are going around a curve to the left, the wheel locks up..not hard enough it won’t go straight again but enough that I can let go of the wheel and it would stay turning left..I have 2019 ram bighorn crew cab

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you put your vehicle info in your Signature it helps people more quickly identify things.
Do you have Lane Keep Assist?

Kidder

Reaction score
If you put your vehicle info in your Signature it helps people more quickly identify things.
Do you have Lane Keep Assist?
That's what it sounds like to me. My truck does this if I'm trying to switch lanes without the turn signal on.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
mine did this when i was driving home from the dealer. Hard corners felt like the steering was binding. I checked my tire pressures and they were all off.
rears were 10psi high
front right was 5psi high
left front was 10 psi low.
Corrected pressures and the problem disappeared.

frommy29

Reaction score
That's what it sounds like to me. My truck does this if I'm trying to switch lanes without the turn signal on.
I don’t have the electronic assist..I will check my tire pressure

tazer006

Reaction score
I have this same issue, I have disabled lane keep and it still holds left. Haven’t had time to take it in to get checked out, but mine will hold left anywhere above 35mph or so

Kidder

Reaction score
I have this same issue, I have disabled lane keep and it still holds left. Haven’t had time to take it in to get checked out, but mine will hold left anywhere above 35mph or so
Quit hugging the right white line! :ROFLMAO:

tazer006

Reaction score
Quit hugging the right white line! :ROFLMAO:

I wish it was that simple! I am used to it now, but my buddy drove the truck recently and it legit freaked him out as any left bend it will hold the wheel left until you provide decent force to straighten out. Doesn’t have any issue turning left at slow speeds, steering feels good, just left bends above 35 or so. No issues right either.

jmpow79`

Reaction score
Anyone have issues traveling of 70mph and as you are going around a curve to the left, the wheel locks up..not hard enough it won’t go straight again but enough that I can let go of the wheel and it would stay turning left..I have 2019 ram bighorn crew cab
Mine started this yesterday. 19 bighorn crew 4wd.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Looks like mine came back. Taking a hard corner at 80 I can set the wheel and pretty much let go of it and it'll keep turning itself.

I'll try to get it to the dealer this week.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed it doesn't happen until you've been driving for a while? Im pretty sure a dealer wouldn't be able to duplicate it without taking a 2 hour test drive..

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure sounds a lot like "Lane Assist". Mine does this on purpose. Freaked me out until I figured it out. It only works when there are well painted lines on the road and only above a certain speed.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Sure sounds a lot like "Lane Assist". Mine does this on purpose. Freaked me out until I figured it out. It only works when there are well painted lines on the road and only above a certain speed.
This only happens once the curve is hard enough that the wheel is past 10 O'Clock. Gradual turns at 80 are completely normal

Edit: also it won't keep itself between the lines. I let off the wheel until it crossed the other lane onto the rumble strip on the other side just to make sure it wasn't this.

Last edited:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This only happens once the curve is hard enough that the wheel is past 10 O'Clock. Gradual turns at 80 are completely normal

Edit: also it won't keep itself between the lines. I let off the wheel until it crossed the other lane onto the rumble strip on the other side just to make sure it wasn't this.

There is an indicator on the dash that is green when "lane keep" has "locked in" on the lines. It is yellow when it can't find the lane due to poor lines. If it's yellow, it doesn't steer the truck. The way to know for sure is to turn off the feature. The Limited has a button just left of the Hazard Light button above the radio. A yellow LED on the button indicates it is off. You may very well have a defective electric power steering unit...but the lane assist feature can sure act that way as well. Good luck.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
There is an indicator on the dash that is green when "lane keep" has "locked in" on the lines. It is yellow when it can't find the lane due to poor lines. If it's yellow, it doesn't steer the truck. The way to know for sure is to turn off the feature. The Limited has a button just left of the Hazard Light button above the radio. A yellow LED on the button indicates it is off. You may very well have a defective electric power steering unit...but the lane assist feature can sure act that way as well. Good luck.

Lane keep assist isn't available on the rebel. Only Laramie and above. So it's not that.

Someone on Facebook was saying it was a ground issue. A engineer had to fly in to figure it out.

tazer006

Reaction score
A quick update on this issue. I have logged a case with FCA Customer Care and they will be working with me and my local dealer (which has been great through this entire process) to get this resolved. I will post back on how this works out. Fingers crossed.

That's great news, please keep us updated! What area of the country are you in? I am still trying to find a good dealer that I trust with a few large issues I am having with the ram.

MFALRAM

Reaction score
Yes my ram did it they had to put a new steering rack in it. Sent back and forth with dealer then finally called ram and they finally replaced it. No problems now and love the truck. I have the bighorn blackout package

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
EDIT: Catching up on the longer post on the topic HERE. I see the steering rack sorts things out for most folks.

This same problem just popped up on my BigHorn, definitely like an electronic system is interfering with the steering... feels exactly like a lane assist system but I don’t have one! Did anyone else resolve this issue and if so, how? @tazer006 [S]@CouchAssault ? @MFALRAM did yours feel more like power steering assist, or like something physical with the linkages? Did the new steering rack sort it out for good?

Last edited:

MFALRAM

Reaction score
EDIT: Catching up on the longer post on the topic HERE. I see the steering rack sorts things out for most folks.

This same problem just popped up on my BigHorn, definitely like an electronic system is interfering with the steering... feels exactly like a lane assist system but I don’t have one! Did anyone else resolve this issue and if so, how? @tazer006 [S]@CouchAssault ? @MFALRAM did yours feel more like power steering assist, or like something physical with the linkages? Did the new steering rack sort it out for good?
I had my steering rack replaced. The problem with getting it fixed is the dealership has to recreate the problem. And the problem is it’s intermittent. I ended up driving my truck for awhile then taking it straight to dealer called them on the way told them have a mechanic ready cause he’s going for a ride. We got it to stick and they said they were going to replace it but 3 months later. So I called ram it got there in a week. It’s an uphill battle for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread