5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Tailgate Light Strip with Sequential Turn Signals

jrc15515

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM Limited with the multifunction tailgate. I would like to install the commonly seen LED light strips that fit under the tailgate and then hook up into the tails lights to give you running, backup, and sequential turn signals. However, I noticed there is a wiring harness that comes out of the bed frame just about in the middle of the tailgate assembly. This seems like it would get in the way of any aftermarket light assembly. Has anyone found an alternative? Thanks so much in advance...

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the Opt 7 48 inch one rather than the 60 inch one with normal tailgate and that wiring harness doesn't interfere with it like the 60 inch version. Also guys are using spacers and such with the 60 inch version. I didn't use any on mine. Pretty well just attached it to the plastic strip under the tailgate.

Post 25 shows the light.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are Handy you can do this:

I literally had all the Parts except a Silicone tube to make it waterproof.

There is the Curt Trailer T connector to tap into the wiring.
If you get the 5 pin Model, the Reverse connection is there already.

Since this light bar uses a dedicated Brake signal, I am going to pull a
connection from the Brake Controller to an Op-AMP to trigger the Brake
Lights.

Malodave

Gex2501

Reaction score
I too am looking for a way to put in such a light strip with the multifunction tailgate. Has anyone had success with this? Can you post pictures?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am working on a Circuit to use the Trailer Brake Controller wire as a separate
brake signal line. Since that Wire has a variable output, I have to run it thru
an Op-Amp with a Pot to set the Trigger Point to get the 12V Signal output
of the Op-Amp to the Arduino for the separate Brake signal.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread