5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED accent lights

velectric12

Reaction score
So I have a 2020 Laramie. I bought Led strip lights that I want to mount under the cab of the truck so when I unlock the truck or a door opens the lights kick on. I though of tapping into the 7 pin trailer harness but I am not sure what color wires I am supposed to tap into. I am sure someone knows how to do this and any help would be appreciated. If there is an easier way to achieve please let me know.

Thanks friends!

sandrinm68

Reaction score
On my 2019 Laramie, there is a white wire/tan tracer under the door sill plate in the back door, driver side. It provides power to the cargo bed light above the rear window.

I used that to tap into for led strips I installed under the bed rails. Suggest changing the cargo bed light bulb to led at the same time. There have been some reports that adding lights to this circuit throws a code if the incandescent bulb is left in place, because of the increased current draw. Switching to led keeps the current under the trigger point of the CAN bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

velectric12

Reaction score
On my 2019 Laramie, there is a white wire/tan tracer under the door sill plate in the back door, driver side. It provides power to the cargo bed light above the rear window.

I used that to tap into for led strips I installed under the bed rails. Suggest changing the cargo bed light bulb to led at the same time. There have been some reports that adding lights to this circuit throws a code if the incandescent bulb is left in place, because of the increased current draw. Switching to led keeps the current under the trigger point of the CAN bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks! yeah I have read a bunch about that wire.. now im looking for a ground close by.

Larry50

Reaction score
thanks! yeah I have read a bunch about that wire.. now im looking for a ground close by.
Any hints on removing the sill plates? Electrical work doesn’t bother me but I hate this push pi’s. Always break them.

Larry50

Reaction score
More info. I am planning on using the WiFi timer relay at timers.shop, and installing OPT7 running board strips wired to trailer plug connection. And pi’s should ne pins/clips.

Sniper75

Reaction score
Its the RED wire on the 7 pin trailer harness. I just installed my led bed lights today

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
I'm trying to add LED lights to my Westin running boards. I'm looking for some advice from any tech guys! :)
I would like to have the lights come on with the mirror puddle lights/cargo lights/interior lights etc, when I unlock my doors. I have some concerns tapping into a wire to accomplish this (likely the light under the dash on the drivers side) as I don't want to cause any electrical issues with potentially overloading the circuit. The running board lights have a total of 8 LEDs so I don't think there is much draw but I don't know how sensitive the electronics are in the truck.
So.. I think I have 2 options.. 1: go ahead an tap into a either the puddle light wire or the light under the dash.
2: Run the running board LEDs off their own dedicated wire using a fuse tap and then using a relay and have it triggered by the puddle light or under dash light. This would still have me taping into the same wire but there would be minimal draw since it's just the trigger for the relay.
Any thoughts or suggestions on what would be the best way ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online