5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leak from Fuel Filter Assembly

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I noticed a leak below the truck behind the front driver’s side wheel. Looked underneath and it seems to be coming from the fuel filter/water separator assembly. Is this something to be concerned or can it wait until I get my truck serviced? The truck has about 4200 miles and 41% oil life remaining. No lights on the dash right now. TIA!

0F1CA099-CF7C-49EB-9118-509A16A5982B.jpeg 0EB14F14-392A-42CD-88F2-3E6DDED26D89.jpeg

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I noticed a leak below the truck behind the front driver’s side wheel. Looked underneath and it seems to be coming from the fuel filter/water separator assembly. Is this something to be concerned or can it wait until I get my truck serviced? The truck has about 4200 miles and 41% oil life remaining. No lights on the dash right now. TIA!

View attachment 111211 View attachment 111212
Did you happen to try to turn that little valve (at the 11:00 position in your picture below) to see if it was tightened down? If so, could you see where it was leaking from? IMHO, I wouldn't continue to let it drip...investigate, see if you can quickly fix it by closing the drain valve and if not you should take it to the dealer (depending upon your mechanical ability).

Attachments

• 1637000677815.png
    1637000677815.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Did you happen to try to turn that little valve (at the 11:00 position in your picture below) to see if it was tightened down? If so, could you see where it was leaking from? IMHO, I wouldn't continue to let it drip...investigate, see if you can quickly fix it by closing the drain valve and if not you should take it to the dealer (depending upon your mechanical ability).
I’ll try that, thanks. I couldn’t see where the leak was coming from.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Diesel may not be as flammable as gasoline but it’ll eat away at any asphalt it touches. I’d check the drain like northstar mentioned and see if it tightens any by hand, you won’t need any tools for that.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Diesel may not be as flammable as gasoline but it’ll eat away at any asphalt it touches. I’d check the drain like northstar mentioned and see if it tightens any by hand, you won’t need any tools for that.
Thanks. I was able to tighten the nut by hand a little bit. Maybe the factory didn’t tighten it enough… there was a yellow line on it and I was able to tighten it a bit past the line. I felt around the assembly and it felt a little greasy with no real smell, maybe a faint grease odor. Hopefully that fixes the issue 🤞

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

View attachment 111211 View attachment 111212
FPNI

Do what @NorthStar said. It -should- be a simple fix, but if it isn't, let the dealer work it. It =is= under warranty, with that mileage.

Don't live with a leak. Better to fix it sooner, rather than later.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now that you've tightened the water drain petcock on the housing, wipe everything down well with paper towels. That way you can check again in a day or two and see if it's still leaking.

If it continues to leak I'd strongly recommend having the dealer repair it. You don't want to risk drawing any air into these fuel systems.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
FPNI

Do what @NorthStar said. It -should- be a simple fix, but if it isn't, let the dealer work it. It =is= under warranty, with that mileage.

Don't live with a leak. Better to fix it sooner, rather than later.
Now that you've tightened the water drain petcock on the housing, wipe everything down well with paper towels. That way you can check again in a day or two and see if it's still leaking.

If it continues to leak I'd strongly recommend having the dealer repair it. You don't want to risk drawing any air into these fuel systems.
Thanks guys. It‘s still be leaking after tightening up the water drain petcock. I wiped everything down and filter is greasy again below the seal line, yet dry above it. Scheduled service first week of December since the local dealer is booked until then. Ordered a 1 1/8” socket to see if tightening up the filter cover will fix the leak.

Users who are viewing this thread