5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Land Rover offers 'transparent hood' in US for 2020. Where is FCA?

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Land Rover showed the transparent hood in 2014:

It has been available in other markets since 2018 as 'ClearSight Ground View' using the center console display rather than the heads-up display in the video. Some videos also show its advantage in maneuvering in some narrow areas more suited to a sub-compact than a 1/2 ton pickup.

Since the Ram has the cameras, has the display, and has the Rebel, Power Wagon, and Off-Road Group option, why can't FCA glue the cameras and display together?

DavidNJ

Reaction score
FCA has a front camera, it is in the Gladiator and calle "TrailCam". A $595 option. Now if that could make its way to the Ram...

Last edited:

Lize

Reaction score
I like the LR transparent hood version, that would be really good to see it whilst watching out of the window, it’s not the same having to switch between looking down at the screen and back out the window.

Isn’t the Jeep one just a front facing camera or is the video a bit rubbish? Didn’t seem to show underneath and round the wheels etc.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
I like the LR transparent hood version, that would be really good to see it whilst watching out of the window, it’s not the same having to switch between looking down at the screen and back out the window.

Isn’t the Jeep one just a front facing camera or is the video a bit rubbish? Didn’t seem to show underneath and round the wheels etc.

The Land Rover may also have a speed limitation. Probably due to safety regs or product liability concerns. If a driver runs over a pedestrian while looking at the camera. They did get around it a bit by having no speed limit in 4WD Lo. However, although the 8-speed trans can keep the rpms in check, that is still a locked center diff.

The Land Rover in practice uses a center dash screen. A heads up display would be best. Remember, it is still showing the ground in front of the truck.

The Raptor has had it since 2013. Theoretically, the Ram has the camera put is more of parking configuration. What is needed is a forced camera mode that keeps it on.

I run into a situation maybe 5 times a year, maybe a bit more, where I'm about to drive into something I really don't want to. It nearly always involves some severe drop or cresting a hill unexpectedly. The only solution is to get out and look. The last one, about a month ago, required backing up nearly 1/4 mile in a narrow path and then an involved K-turn. My guess is my truck would have failed angle of approach, angle of departure, and breakover doing lots of damage.

Lize

Reaction score
The Land Rover in practice uses a center dash screen. A heads up display would be best. Remember, it is still showing the ground in front of the truck.
Yes the concept video is disappointingly nothing like the actual thing.

The Raptor has had it since 2013. Theoretically, the Ram has the camera put is more of parking configuration. What is needed is a forced camera mode that keeps it on.
Yes, my Raptor had one (supplied from a lot rather than ordered and had a few things I wouldn’t necessarily have added). I thought the front camera might be quite useful for parking but in practice it was overly complicated to switch on and I never really used it, seem to remember you had to be in 4WD. At the time you could get a lockpick to override the speed limitation but I never bothered.

Yes, if the Ram one is designed for anything other than parking they slipped up not making it available on the Rebel. I read a few posts on here about adding one but it doesn’t seem possible with 12” screen and when it can be done it’ll likely be far too much trouble.

I run into a situation maybe 5 times a year, maybe a bit more, where I'm about to drive into something I really don't want to. It nearly always involves some severe drop or cresting a hill unexpectedly. The only solution is to get out and look. The last one, about a month ago, required backing up nearly 1/4 mile in a narrow path and then an involved K-turn. My guess is my truck would have failed angle of approach, angle of departure, and breakover doing lots of damage.
Yes, always better to get out and look! Not sure I’d trust a camera in that type of situation.

PS. interesting you have the phrase K-turn, in UK we call them 3 point turns even if it’s takes many more back and forths.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
There seems to be a new round of competition in these trucks in both trailering and off-road. Maybe competition will force the change. However, that big a heads-up display would be expensive and fragile, and lots of owner money goes into suspension enhancements, tires, and storage.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Given the available tech out there, a trail cam plugin to the OE UConnect would be amazing... but all I can think is how kids are told to get their head out of video games and well, real life is just going to virtual reality haha. drive by camera? might as well be playing GranTurismo

DavidNJ

Reaction score
The new Power Wagon has something...maybe...it isn't in the configurator and doesn't appear to be standard...so ????

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online