5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kill Switch or Starter Interupt

Hogzfan

Reaction score
I have been reading about FOB cloning, and how thieves use it to steal your truck. It got me wondering if there is a circuit that can be tapped, and a small switch placed in-line. Maybe a starter relay circuit, small amps, low/no fire risk. Disconnect when I exit the truck, so even if the thief has my FOB, they would have to know my switch. Any ideas?

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
I have been reading about FOB cloning, and how thieves use it to steal your truck. It got me wondering if there is a circuit that can be tapped, and a small switch placed in-line. Maybe a starter relay circuit, small amps, low/no fire risk. Disconnect when I exit the truck, so even if the thief has my FOB, they would have to know my switch. Any ideas?
Couldn't you just put a switch in line with the start button so the circuit cannot close if the switch was in the open position?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you care that much about the low low chance your truck gets stolen to void your warranty by hacking into the electronics?
We have insurance for a reason.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A switch ( or pulling ) F59 under the hood should disable the ignition, fuel injection and glow plug system. Alternatively F01 is the fuel pump motor. But they might get down the road before it stalls and ditch your ride. F40 is the starter.

It's a 25 amp clear. pg 448 in the manual. A switch wired into a piggyback micro-fuse should work as a hidden kill switch there. No permanent modifications necessary.

I haven't tried it, just looking in the manual.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
A switch ( or pulling ) F59 under the hood should disable the ignition, fuel injection and glow plug system. Alternatively F01 is the fuel pump motor. But they might get down the road before it stalls and ditch your ride. F40 is the starter.

It's a 25 amp clear. pg 448 in the manual. A switch wired into a piggyback micro-fuse should work as a hidden kill switch there. No permanent modifications necessary.

I was studying on it, too, but I'm not sure how much a 2019 Hemi and a 2020 share. If the fues blocks are the same, that F40 starter fuse is underhood.

I was thinking of underdash F11 – 5 Amp Output to Underhood Power Distribition Center (UPDC) Run Coil. If I'm reading that right, there's some kind of relay/giant transistor in the underhood fuse block for Run fuses. Kill the trigger and kill all that stuff.

But I'm not interested enough to go unplug it and see and risk setting all kinds of codes.

Hogzfan

Reaction score

Thats a good idea. I'll be in the shop tmrw, may have time to look into it. I may have to make/order a fuse insert and wire in a small switch.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Was any more information discovered? Were you successfully able to add the kill switch?

Users who are viewing this thread