5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kicker Key180.4 Amp Install

cajun456

Reaction score
I installed the Kicker Key180.4 amp and wanted to share the install and setup details. I used the PAC ANC-CH01 to bypass the ANC and connect the speaker wires and power and ground. This is a "smart" amp and uses an included mic to setup the EQ and time delay. The setup was easy using the included instructions. The sound from the factory speakers is alot better after the initial setup, but it did not sound the way I wanted, so I listened to different types of music and adjusted the radio eq to find the right sound. On the second setup, I reversed the eq settings of the radio (ex... I boosted bass by 2 in my tests, so I used -2 for the setup), also I put the mic on a strip of wood in the middle of the two front headrests to change the delay for a different sound stage. The gain on the amp is set at minimum for the factory speakers. Overall, it is definately an improvement to the sound. Later I will get better speakers and add a sub.

Attachments

• 20210304_135948.jpg
    20210304_135948.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 40

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had this amp on my f150. It is a nice little amp. What audio system you have, base or Alpine? Where/how did you mount it?

For the gain setting, if you go to kickers site you can download a white noise file to USB drive. You play the file in the truck with the volume at about 2/3. You start at zero and turn the gain up until the green (yellow?) light on the side of the amp starts blinking intermittently. Then turn the gain down a touch. Instructions are either on the site with the noise file or the user directions booklet with the amp, can't recall which.

cajun456

Reaction score
I have the base 6 speaker (sorry, I thought I put it in the post). I have it under the driver's seat next to the ANC.

I did use the white noise file from the kicker site. I put it on a flash drive and let it play, the amp does the rest. I left the gain at minimum due to the factory speakers. I will replace the speakers later and turn the gain up as needed.

One note I missed from my original post, you have to turn the volume up on the radio to 20 for the amp to configure properly.

Users who are viewing this thread