5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fob Buttons no longer execute commands - solved

TrackDay

Reaction score
I have a 21 Ram I bought about a year and a half ago. This afternoon I noticed my buttons on my key fob no longer execute their function on my truck. For instance, I cannot lock or unlock the doors with my key fob. Same for tailgate opening. If I walk up to the truck and touch the handle I can lock or unlock. The truck starts and runs as normal with the push button inside the truck. When I push buttons the key fob red light comes on very briefly. I also tried my spare key which I normally keep in a Faraday pouch and it did the same. No responses from the truck.
I figured maybe the fob battery was weak even though it's very soon for that and even though both remotes do the same thing. New battery, no change in behavior.
I also tried my UConnect app which I don't use super often, and the truck had no response to the lock command even though I was in a strong wifi location at a hotel and standing right next to my truck.
I'm not in my home town and need to drive about 1000 miles back home over the next 2 days. It seems like everything is still working OK, other than remote commands.
Any worries about me making this trip back home?
Any quick other things to check?

TrackDay

Reaction score
In case someone finds this thread in the future, problem solved thanks to @Rlaf75 in a similar thread.
Try bringing all the fobs you have for it to the truck then disconnect the vehicle's battery for 10/15 minutes. It does kind of a system reset.
Thanks for that. I finally had the time to do this just now and it worked like a charm. Problem solved.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
In case someone finds this thread in the future, problem solved thanks to @Rlaf75 in a similar thread.

Thanks for that. I finally had the time to do this just now and it worked like a charm. Problem solved.
Glad it worked out for you. I'm a fleet vehicle mechanic and along with several others I work on a fleet of Ram Promaster van's. Each vehicle we get has 3 key fobs assigned to it. Occasionally we have to "reset" the fobs because of the same basic problem you had.

TrackDay

Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you. I'm a fleet vehicle mechanic and along with several others I work on a fleet of Ram Promaster van's. Each vehicle we get has 3 key fobs assigned to it. Occasionally we have to "reset" the fobs because of the same basic problem you had.
I've had probably a dozen vehicles from Dodge with key fobs and never saw this issue before. It's odd to me, but it was an easy fix. Thanks again.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I've had probably a dozen vehicles from Dodge with key fobs and never saw this issue before. It's odd to me, but it was an easy fix. Thanks again.
Yeah its crazy but these new vehicles are so sensitive with all of the electronics in them.

Users who are viewing this thread