5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KARR/WDS install 2021 RAM

Ratfink

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the install of KARR/WDS alarms, installed for RAM dealers?
I just purchased a 2021, RAM-Laramie eco-Diesel and was looking at threads on people un-happy with KARR/WDS tech's work.
I looked under steering wheel to see what KARR/WDS did as I had no decision it this alarm, because it was already install. I was shocked to see T-clips in varios locations, on my $60, 000.00 dollar truck!
I called RAM they said talk to dealer, their looking i to it?
I called KARR/WDS, and they said "We have been doing this for over 30 yrs. And had few issues. And further more we installed for dealer. T-clios are commonly used in the industry, and KARR/WDS is not the only one." I said this is a 60K truck a d you butchered the electrical, T-clips do not meet SAE, standards, and MotorTrend has a write uo on proper repair and discuss use of t-clips and or any cheap clip used to pinch wires. Do not use them, unless it is an emergency, and or you don't care about the vehicle."
KARR/WDS representative said you are the only one have an issue with T-clips." I said people buying new vehicles do not know enough and or don't think about even looking to see after market, shady work **** this!
30 years ago vehicles whete not this sophisticated. I am concerned does anyone elese have concers?

Attachments

• 20211021_150458.jpg
    20211021_150458.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20211021_150443.jpg
    20211021_150443.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20211021_150408.jpg
    20211021_150408.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 18
Not sure what karr/wds is so I won't talk about that but sounds like forced dealer option(I steer clear of these type of dealers) . I personally don't take issue with t-taps, I rather use them compared to some other more destructive methods to the harness. The problem isn't with t-taps but the installer. They come in different sizes(color represent the size) for a reason. Use one to large it will cause intermittent connections, use one too small it cut strands of wire and cause break in the wire.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Not sure what karr/wds is so I won't talk about that but sounds like forced dealer option(I steer clear of these type of dealers) . I personally don't take issue with t-taps, I rather use them compared to some other more destructive methods to the harness. The problem isn't with t-taps but the installer. They come in different sizes(color represent the size) for a reason. Use one to large it will cause intermittent connections, use one too small it cut strands of wire and cause break in the wire.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatal1

Appreciate input. T-TAPS and other quick wire type electrical wire taps/g

The t-tap and or other Guillotine type wire tape is very popular and has its place in history. It is quick, it makes money. I understand, quick! I has all such type items removed from my shop. I spent time to train and provide new techs with the knowledge and provided an opportunity to let them learn on their own, why t-taps and other type of wire quick fixes were unacceptable. In old vehicles, 1900 to 1999 maybe. But modern sophosticated vehicles, no way! Take a bit more time and use SAE best practicies and ensure all wire strands in a wire are not damaged, and a water tight fix is implemented. It taks more time.
I pay by-the hour.
I waa charged $600.00 for a system that has one component RAM did not have. Starter lock out!
If I caught a tech using any type of t-tap and or quick fix on a wire, he would have to under go retraining...
It is 2021, this is not the place for this type of quick fixes.
Solder, heatshrink, and or new technology is where we are, gone are the days of Mod-T's. I'm retired and to see this and response, we ha e been doing this for 30 years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back