5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just Drove 3.6L Big Horn

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I do find the Pentastar a delightful engine in my Pacifica and do like driving the Ecodiesel in my 2014 Longhorn but the new PEntastar has about 50% more hp than the Ecodiesel and with the 8 spd ZF transmission it shifts very nicely so I think it wil be fine for me.

That's not really all that accurate. The pentastar has 305 HP vs 240 from the ED. So the ED is 78% HP of the Pentastar.
However. The ED has gobs more torque; 420 vs 269 from the Pentastar.

You're also not accounting for torque curves, the ED is putting out max torque already around 1600 rpms (very low). The Pentastar needs to wind up and rev to over 3000 RPMS, and it feels very week until it reaches max torque. It's putting out far less power than 305 for most of it's rev range. So you wait for the engine to rev and build power.

So don't just look at 2 specific numbers (peak HP) and think one engine is stronger than the other. In this case, despite being down in peak HP, the ED is the stronger engine. The proof is in the towing specs, where the ED can tow more than the Pentastar. Of course, the Hemi is still king!

Users who are viewing this thread