5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jerk when putting truck into Drive? A little bit of Vibration in cabin?

SkyLimit

Reaction score
I'm just curious because I just bought a used Ram 2020. I came from A GMC Canyon. I was the original owner of my previous truck so I've known it since it came out of the womb so I could tell when something was off. I'm absolutely loving the switch so far but there's some "symptoms" that I'm just wondering if they're normal.

-Whether I'm in park, reverse or N and I'm switching the transmission knob to Drive I feel a slight "jerk" is that normal? I understand that the transmission is engaging, but I don't feel that in other vehicles I drive (Mind you this is my first V8).
-When I'm in idle/full stop I can feel "light" vibrations, I'm going to assume it's the engine. On a scale of 1-10 I'd say it's like 1.5? I can feel it from below my seat.
-I don't know if it's because of the bigger size of the truck, but I'd say it's a bit "bumpier" ride compared to other vehicles I've driven.

Some information about my Vehicle:
-2020 Sport Ram
-Has the Air Suspension Package (Don't know if that will be a factor to anything)

Overall though, I'm super glad I made the switch. Buying Used vehicles has always been an iffy idea for me since I have no idea how the previous owners took care of it. I treated my previous truck like a baby, so I'd like to do the same for my Ram.

Thanks for any feedback guys!

siegsuwa

Reaction score
Hello - I had a similar issue recently. Just picked up a new-to-me 2019 Big Horn in August and when I would shift from park to drive or park to reverse, the whole truck would kind of lunge when the shift completed.

I also had companion symptoms of feeling a bit of a hard 2-1 downshift coming lightly into stops (like rolling into a red light slow and then reapplying).

I took it to my local RAM dealer and they applied TSB 21-009-20 to update the TCM software, covered under powertrain warranty. If you look up this TSB there's a whole load of transmission control software bug fixes to smooth out the shifting. I'd start here with your local dealer and see if they can help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online