5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issue after leveling/lifting...

edehosse

Reaction score
So this past weekend, I installed a set of Rough Country 2” leveling struts, and a pair of 1-1/2” rear blocks. Really digging the stance, although my tire setup looks a little puny now...

The issue I’m having is with the stability control. It seems to think that every time I take a bend a little on the “lively” side that the truck is going to roll or something, and automatically brakes. It’s super annoying. Anyone else experiencing this after lifting?

Is there anything short of turning it off that can stop it? Maybe a setting somewhere for sensitivity?
C2A75406-9D33-471E-AC0F-5FF50E8EE733.jpeg

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this past weekend, I installed a set of Rough Country 2” leveling struts, and a pair of 1-1/2” rear blocks. Really digging the stance, although my tire setup looks a little puny now...

The issue I’m having is with the stability control. It seems to think that every time I take a bend a little on the “lively” side that the truck is going to roll or something, and automatically brakes. It’s super annoying. Anyone else experiencing this after lifting?

Is there anything short of turning it off that can stop it? Maybe a setting somewhere for sensitivity?
View attachment 71136
Heyyyy that looks like a truck!!!! Lol. As far as your issue is concerned I'm told by my coworker ..(5 minutes ago) that there is a module you can pull that eliminates the stability control. ..buuut the problem is that same module controls about 5 other functions in the truck...he didn't say which ones. Now...he doesn't have a 5th gen...so it might not even be valid with our trucks.

edehosse

Reaction score
Heyyyy that looks like a truck!!!! Lol. As far as your issue is concerned I'm told by my coworker ..(5 minutes ago) that there is a module you can pull that eliminates the stability control. ..buuut the problem is that same module controls about 5 other functions in the truck...he didn't say which ones. Now...he doesn't have a 5th gen...so it might not even be valid with our trucks.
Ha! Yeah. Definitely sits how it should have from the factory.

I wouldn’t think pulling a module would work. Probably throw all kinds of codes. Actually, I like the traction control aspect of it. Keeps me from sliding on wet pavement. Just want to disable the part that tries to brake for me.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ha! Yeah. Definitely sits how it should have from the factory.

I wouldn’t think pulling a module would work. Probably throw all kinds of codes. Actually, I like the traction control aspect of it. Keeps me from sliding on wet pavement. Just want to disable the part that tries to brake for me.
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that traction control and stability control work under the same system. Has turning off traction control helped with the issue? If so...it only confirms that you can't have one without the other. But this is the first I've heard that a lift has caused any issues with stability control...maybe someone else on here has more of a definite answer for you.

edehosse

Reaction score
Yeah - Turning it off takes care of the issue. Just hate losing the traction control to eliminate the auto braking.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
I’ve read that changing the sway bar helps but honestly haven’t done anything to mine yet.

edehosse

Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that traction control and stability control work under the same system. Has turning off traction control helped with the issue? If so...it only confirms that you can't have one without the other. But this is the first I've heard that a lift has caused any issues with stability control...maybe someone else on here has more of a definite answer for you.

Looks like I was mistaken about being able to turn it off. Turning off the traction control has no affect on stability control. Still get the flashing light and automatic braking. Thinking I may look through the ALFAOBD options and see if there is anything I can adjust.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like I was mistaken about being able to turn it off. Turning off the traction control has no affect on stability control. Still get the flashing light and automatic braking. Thinking I may look through the ALFAOBD options and see if there is anything I can adjust.
I might have at least a Partial solution...I just watched a video on how to partially disable the ESC....push the traction control off button...and keep it held until a message comes up and says "ESC Disabled". The video was mainly for a 4th gen Ram but try it....might work for a 5th gen too.

Ram Ranch

Reaction score
^^ Adding to what PowerJrod said,

Press the traction control button once it turns it to "Partial off"
or
Holding traction control button & brake pedal for 5 seconds completely turns off the ESC, Traction control, etc..

you will have to do this every time you start the truck, I would consider this a temporary solution as I have heard insurance can deny payout if they discover your ESC was disabled during an accident.

edehosse

Reaction score
I might have at least a Partial solution...I just watched a video on how to partially disable the ESC....push the traction control off button...and keep it held until a message comes up and says "ESC Disabled". The video was mainly for a 4th gen Ram but try it....might work for a 5th gen too.
^^ Adding to what PowerJrod said,

Press the traction control button once it turns it to "Partial off"
or
Holding traction control button & brake pedal for 5 seconds completely turns off the ESC, Traction control, etc..

you will have to do this every time you start the truck, I would consider this a temporary solution as I have heard insurance can deny payout if they discover your ESC was disabled during an accident.

Thanks for the info guys. (y)(y)

Duran

Reaction score
I installed the motofab 2.5 inch leveling kit on my 2020 1500. I think the only complaint i have is that i feel like i have resistance while im driving. Could this be due to aerodynamics that got thrown off. ????

edehosse

Reaction score
I installed the motofab 2.5 inch leveling kit on my 2020 1500. I think the only complaint i have is that i feel like i have resistance while im driving. Could this be due to aerodynamics that got thrown off. ????
Have your alignment double checked.

After I installed my lift struts, I had it aligned at the local Ram dealer the next day. Something didn't seem right after driving it for a bit. Same sort of feeling - Drag, resistance, etc. Crawled under and noticed that the lower control arm cam bolts looked odd. They were turned in a direction that drew the arms in, adding positive camber, which I thought was the opposite of what they should have been. Ended up taking it to a Firestone tire place. They have one of those fancy laser alignment racks. It was way off. Too much positive camber, caster was off a few degrees, and toe-in was out as well.

After the re-alignment, it drives exactly like before the lift. Much more positive feel to the wheel, no more drag feeling, and it actually helped with the stability control issue I was having.

Duran

Reaction score
Have your alignment double checked.

After I installed my lift struts, I had it aligned at the local Ram dealer the next day. Something didn't seem right after driving it for a bit. Same sort of feeling - Drag, resistance, etc. Crawled under and noticed that the lower control arm cam bolts looked odd. They were turned in a direction that drew the arms in, adding positive camber, which I thought was the opposite of what they should have been. Ended up taking it to a Firestone tire place. They have one of those fancy laser alignment racks. It was way off. Too much positive camber, caster was off a few degrees, and toe-in was out as well.

After the re-alignment, it drives exactly like before the lift. Much more positive feel to the wheel, no more drag feeling, and it actually helped with the stability control issue I was having.
If you check my posts i posted a oic of the alignment i believe i was off on my toe. It was qt 21°

ccudneysr

Reaction score
New guy here... Just bought a 2019 Laramie Longhorn 2500. Did a Skyjacker 2.5" level kit (Springs and 4 shocks) and adjustable track bar. Alignment was off. The stability control light was lit the entire way to the shop due to the steering being at about 3 o'clock. I had it aligned and the light went off. Now I am having the same issue as edehosse above.... Im taking it back to the alignment shop in the morning. If they cant fix it, ill look for another shop. These guys have always done great work for me and never an issue....any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread