5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this Rust already?

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Was looking under the hood today. Truck only has 250 miles on it. Built 12/18 and sat on a dealer's lot all winter and into Spring. Only had 15 miles on it when I bought it 3 weeks ago. Anyways, Is this rust that's already formed on/near the engine block? Or is this normal? Anything I should do?

Was looking under the hood today. Truck only has 250 miles on it. Built 12/18 and sat on a dealer's lot all winter and into Spring. Only had 15 miles on it when I bought it 3 weeks ago. Anyways, Is this rust that's already formed on/near the engine block? Or is this normal? Anything I should do?

View attachment 30397

It's exposed/unpainted steel - it's gonna rust if it sits out for any length of time, more so in a humid vs dry area but still will given enough time (the other shiny/unrusted metal there is aluminum). Look at brake rotors that have been sitting still a few weeks....surface rust starts to form on them if not used. Only way to prevent or deal with what you're seeing there if it bothers you is to use a rust converter and topcoat.

It's exposed/unpainted steel - it's gonna rust if it sits out for any length of time, more so in a humid vs dry area but still will given enough time (the other shiny/unrusted metal there is aluminum). Look at brake rotors that have been sitting still a few weeks....surface rust starts to form on them if not used. Only way to prevent or deal with what you're seeing there if it bothers you is to use a rust converter and topcoat.
Thanks!

View attachment 30397
I had lots of it under my truck on the driveshaft and other parts under the hood when I picked mine up. Normal.

Had the same thing happened with mine. Been waiting months for my dealer to get back to me. Had a 20 year old Nissan truck with less rust underneath

I live 500' from the ocean, my brake rotors are rusty after sitting for 2 days. Probably should undercoat this truck now that I think about it...

Even here in Eastern Wa my rotors are rusty from a couple days of sitting. Then shiny silver from one day of driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back